Completed - Masterboard Swap ~ Send by August 17

Iā€™ve used plain old copy/printer paper, cardstock, cereal box cardboard, grocery bags, book pages. This round I used a nicer coloring book page for one. It depends a little on what youā€™re planning to do ā€“ printer paper can warp if youā€™re using a lot of wet stuff ā€“ but really itā€™s whatever you can think of.

Iā€™ve been using matte medium as my adhesive, but again, whatever you have on hand will probably work.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used everything from junk mail, to ugly scrapbook paper, to light weight card board to mixed media and water color paper (110-140 lb). Itā€™s a good way to use up papers you ā€œmessed upā€ or stuff that might other wise be thrown away.

I usually use Aleens Collage Pauge. I find Yes! Paste really sticky and I make a mess of it. If Iā€™m attaching something heavier I use scotch glue pens.

3 Likes

Like everyone else, I use a variety of papers. I love to gesso my paper first for texture and general priming. And I use tacky or craft glue, or Collage Pauge to stick stuff down, or gel medium. Whatever is closest to my hands while working.

Re: YES Paste. It is sticky but it is water-soluble so easy to clean up. It is an excellent paper to paper glue. I use when making book covers and sometimes for collage work.

1 Like

I have a stack of unwanted (junk mail, paper bags, etc) and unloved (scrapbook paper that I donā€™t love) papers that I use for my base and I use matte mod podge and/or tacky glue as my adhesive. On my first few masterboards I used a glossy mod podge and did not like it :stuck_out_tongue: (but that could be my personal preference)

Really anything you have on hand will get you started :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well, the results are now in the hands of the US postal service!
fingers crossed they reach you in a few days~
I was happy that I managed to finish up & get to the PO before I headed out of
town this afternoon, so now itā€™s not hanging over me as a ā€œto doā€ when I get back home~
I kept the receipt, but itā€™s at home, so Iā€™ll have to send you the photo of it over the weekend

3 Likes

Cross posting the picture of my latest spread in my Fodder School notebook on masterboards since I thought it might be interesting here. :slight_smile: Any other tips I should add to my page?

5 Likes

such a great reference page!
I may have to copy it in my sketch book (and I think you hit all of the ideas I have seen posted)
Iā€™m also bookmarking this post ā€“ THANKS!

1 Like

I am putting the final splatters on and will be ready to send tomorrow. Also finishing the extra bits to include. So excited to be finishedā€¦

5 Likes

I have my masterboards selected, stacked, and the small crafted item on top :slight_smile: Iā€™ll pack them up and send on Monday!

3 Likes

Tomorrow is the send by date!

Please let me and your partner(s) know when youā€™ve sent and received :heart: If you think youā€™ll be late let me and your partner(s) know that too :kissing_heart:

And let me know if this info is incorrect:

:arrow_right: = sending to
:package: = Sent
:gift: = Received
:mailbox_with_no_mail: = Late with communication
:hole: = Contact me ASAP
:sparkling_heart: = Done with swap

@Reinikka :arrow_right: roler & kayrun
@thanate :package: loves2experiment & :package: Ewulotta
@Smmarrt :arrow_right: photojenn & Renstar
:sparkling_heart: @loves2experiment :gift: thanate
@geekgirl :package: Renstar & :gift: Lynx2Lancer
@photojenn :gift: megwell & :package: Smmarrt
:sparkling_heart: @megwell :gift: photojenn
@Renstar :package: geekgirl & :gift: Smmarrt
@kayrun :package: Reinikka
@Ewulotta :arrow_right: thanate
:sparkling_heart: @Lynx :gift: geekgirl
:sparkling_heart: @roler :gift: Reinikka

1 Like

I also want to add how great youā€™ve all been for this swap :heart: There are only three of us that havenā€™t sent yet. Everyone has been kind, encouraging, and awesome! This has been a stress free organizing experience for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and I will definitely volunteer to host a round two in the future :partying_face:

Do any of you have any thoughts/suggestions for a round two?

My thought - I think next time I would keep it just a masterboard swap and not have the extra crafted small (but what do you guys think?)

4 Likes

I loved the extra crafted small item. But I might be biased because of the ridiculously cute little hearts @megwell sent me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All masterboards ftw!

2 Likes

I really like the crafted small part. I was actually done with that before I deciddd my masterboards were ready to send.

3 Likes

No opinion, either way is fine.

I liked the extra because it ā€˜madeā€™ me do something with a piece I truly didnā€™t like and then I loved it.
Out of the comfort zone for this whole swap but loads of learnings, good and bad!!

3 Likes

either way is fine by me~
glad you are having a positive experience organizing!

1 Like

I lean toward boards-only (maybe just because itā€™s one fewer thing for me to get swap-anxietal about), but I donā€™t have superstrong feelings about it.

Aw, shucks :blush:. Naturally, the day after I sent, I started second-guessing whether my small was too smally, so Iā€™m glad it works for you :+1:t2:.

ETA: Also meant to say that I like the partnering format of this one. I think I made roughly the same number of boards this time as in the previous round, where we sent one (ha!) board to a few partners, but I think psychologically, having fewer packages to manage was nice. And having an option as to number of partners makes me feel like I have some element of control over my swap commitment.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad I asked! Maybe it could be an option type thingā€¦ Four masterboards -or- Three masterboards plus a small? :thinking:

Right? Like I could pick just one! :rofl: Iā€™m glad you like the partner format :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that is a fantastic idea!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes