Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Oh wow!! This is A-Mazing! I love everything you put in to this piece, especially the bird heads and cut feathers - so much life!

I agree with @JoyfulClover, seeing all these different takes on the initial idea is great inspiration to push out beyond what’s comfortable and try new things.

I posted mine on the art board already, but I should record it in the craftalong too …

Blackbird girl

This group is an inspiration!

7 Likes

wow @calluna…I love how out of the box you went…it is wonderfully dark and compelling…

1 Like

Thank you!

yes! I love that! The girl’s wing-ish things (they’re still forming, she’ll get pretty ones as she grows) are actually journal pages from a very dark time in my life, which I had tossed into a campfire a couple years ago but they wouldn’t burn. I pulled the singed pages out of the fire pit the next morning and knew they were meant to be reused in art, once I got the smoke smell out! :grin: So those really bad times, represented by the paper, transformed to become my wings.
Also, I grew up in the heart of the California condors’ habitat range, but somehow I’ve never incorporated condors into art or my personal visual vocabulary. Time to start!

5 Likes

@calluna
What a strong testiment of self.

1 Like

I love the condors!

Thank you, I think @craftADDchick’s vulture ATC has stuck with me, because ever since I saw it I’ve been considering carrion-eating birds like condors strangely cute. :grin: I mean, I never didn’t like condors, but I didn’t give them much thought. And now I get excited when I see vultures out and about.

(ETA: the cuteness does not extend to their eating and digestion! I’ve been up close and personal with turkey vulture defense-vomiting, and I don’t recommend it)

2 Likes

We did this video a couple months ago and a month ago were going to do it again but I had to bail at the last minute.

So I’m finally getting around to hosting it! Several of us really enjoyed this video and wanted to try it again.
And it’s a good video for beginners if you want to jump in and join us!

3 Likes

Me!

[Ugh, my post isn’t long enough]

I’m so sad that I missed the last one, but I wasn’t following the thread. Now I’ve got it on notify! I’d love to join in the fun.

2 Likes

I am going to do a little prep to my canvas since it is so large, but I want to follow along with the rest of it on Saturday with you guys to get it done without overthinking it…count me in!

3 Likes

I should be able to be there!

3 Likes

Yay!

You should! Because these peeps are on FIRE!

1 Like

Yay! I’ll be there!

2 Likes

I tried the goose girl again. This time the paper was smaller and I drew the face. I think I like it a bit better. The whole thing isn’t really my style but I tried.

8 Likes

I like this one, too! And I’m proud of you for all the white space!! You did a great job on her face and on those geese!

I sent the zoom info for tomorrow’s art journaling session via private msg to those who expressed interest. If you want to join in and didn’t get the link let me know!

3 Likes

Thanks for this; just signed up!

1 Like

This is beautiful!! The face is so delicate!

I’m looking forward to our art journal session :smile_cat:

1 Like

Yay! I’m excited you are also going to check it out, @megwell! 30 artists in 2 weeks sounds like 2ish a day?? Maybe? Who knows! It’s free, so we’ll find out!

1 Like

I think I might give this free taster a try too. I’m interested to see what it’s like - I see Toni Burt is one of the artists, and I really enjoyed the free lessons on her own website.

1 Like