Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Oh I think Jane devenport is one. There are a few of the whimsical ladies artist. Do yall want to just do a whimsical lady challenge. If so let’s name a few other artists that make whimsical ladies so we have lots of inspirations and we can choose which style we’d like to be inspired by.

ok these are the people who posted at least one tm style project betwen feb and march. Did i miss anyone?

1. @Lynx
  2. @megwell
  3. @jemimah
  4. @geekgirl
  5. @JoyfulClover
2 Likes

Dina Wakley - she is doing free live demos on Facebook during the lockdown.

I do have some Jane Davenport supplies but I also like Kate Crane - thekathrynwheel on YT

I forgot about the Zetti at the end! I still want to do one. I can’t offer an opinion on the next artist. This is all pretty new for me, so it’s a stretch, no matter who you choose. But, it’s a stretch in a good way- I’m trying new things!

I just finished my second masterboard. I wanted to add one more element on top of the yellow stenciled flowers, but not too much, so I took a white gel pen and scrawled some flower quotes on it (Earth laughs in flowers; A rose by any other name would smell as sweet; There are always flowers for those who want to see them). It’s subtle, but I think I like it.

Now, I need to cut it up!

3 Likes

We had talked about doing Dina Wakley style whimsical faces

I made several art journal pages following a video by Kate Crane.
The small square one was done in watercolor paper. The other 2 were done in an old art journal that I am trying to re-do all the pages. It’s a journal from when I first started and some of the pages are pretty sad and ugly. So I gesso’d over them and started over.

9 Likes

Nicely done…love the use of white…

I have gessoed over a few earlier canvases I did…it was so cathartic…I kept them thinking I would learn from them, but they made me sad to see them…little failures gloating at me…covering them up means they get a new start…much much better!

Now to look up that video… :smiley:

My Kate Crane looks really different than GG’ s.

(Blurred for the swears)

She covered a lot of her good stuff after making it, which I didn’t do. I would try again, but maybe try to follow her style more.

5 Likes

I really love your second one, GG. But the quote on the 3rd, makes me diiiieeeee!

1 Like

I just tried to do some frestylin paper-stuffs. And it’s a wreck!

Y’all make this look so easy! Effortless! Like happy little champagne bubbles!

Mines just flat tap water. Blah.

1 Like

Practice! And even now I still have pages that look like crap. Gesso and start over.

2 Likes

Here is page from Donna Downing. I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out, esp. as I do not have/did not use all the materials she used.

9 Likes

It looks great! I like the colour combo!

1 Like

Really like this…has a mid-century modern vibe to it…

1 Like

Thanks y’all! And I DO love MCM. Maybe that’s why it appeals to me so much.

I definitely want to keep trying different types. Do we have a style for the next month yet? Let’s pick!!

Toni Burt has 4 free tutorials, and feature female faces (as mentioned).

Ohh, I love it! Great colours, excellent shapes!

1 Like

I really, like this @JoyfulClover! I love the colors of the circles, and I love the bold typography on top of it all.

1 Like

Thanks, cADDc! She was really good! Check her out!

I will! I’m finding that I get a ton of emails and questions at the beginning of the “school “ week, but they taper off by midweek. So, while I’m sitting at my computer, I can look her up.