Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I hear you. I need to get up and out tomorrow and not spend the day vegging out and making stuff.

So much stuff…

2 Likes

I tried the lesson Hiding in Plain Sight by Traycee Alane. I really enjoyed it! Meet my new friend…

I think I will try these techniques again :smiley:

6 Likes

Absolutely love this piece! What medium did you use? It looks like…intense pastels of some kind!

1 Like

Thank you! she used a variety of things, and I used some, but what I already had. I used Inktense water soluble pencils, acrylic paints (several varieties), and Neocolor water soluble crayons. She also used paint markers and pencil in the lesson. Lots of layers, it was a fun process!

ooohh!! These must be it! I am off to check them out! Thank you!

I. love your frog! I just watched the lessons and I might try it tomorrow.
Also watched the bookmaking one and Carolyn Dube’s art dice.
So many ideas in my head…

2 Likes

The next step is scary - adding more paint and more colors. Then you look for faces or critters hiding in the composition. This is the same class as @jemimah is showing above.

2 Likes

I spy 2 critters and 2 people, but I’ll stay quiet on what I see in case you’re seeing something different! I really liked that that class took the blind scribble idea and made the base later so textural and colorful to start with. “Found” images in doodles and abstracts are some of my favorite images, but most of mine have looked really rudimentary, so I’m glad this helped flesh out how to, well, flesh them out.

The patchwork pets course was really long (I skipped ahead several times), but the cuteness of it is killing me!

Fab! Can’t wait to see what they become!!

No matter what technique you use, your animals always delight me!

1 Like

Great works, @jemimah and @Smmarrt!

I watched a few of the classes but didn’t make along in the moment. I got lots of ideas, though, and reinforcement that I need to 1) get out of my head and 2) focus less on the end product and more on the process.

2 Likes

@jemimah - the frog is AMAZING!

@smmarrt - I’m loving the background you made there!

Its been a busy month with birthdays, anniversary, holidays and getting ready for my art show. Hopefully after this weekend I’ll have more time to spend with yall, and I’ll have tons of new stuff to share.

1 Like

Who wants to do an online/zoom art journal video again?

Sunday, July 26th at 10:30am, EST

We will be watching and doing this video:

It’s only 7 1/2 minutes long so please try to watch before hand so you know what to expect.

Supply List:

• paper
  • gesso
  • paint/brushes
  • stamps/stencils and ink
  • spray bottle
  • pens/markers
  • sentiment

You don’t have to have everything she uses.

Suggestions:

• She makes the circles using solid circle stamps. I don’t have those. What I did on this video before was to take bottle caps and dip the rim lightly in black paint and stamp on the paper to make a circle imprint and then I painted in the circle with a brush and paint. then when dried redid the borders with more paint and markers - so have a variety of different size bottle caps on hand

• You can use anything you want for the background: water color paper, drawing paper, cardboard

• you don’t have to prime the background with gesso if you don’t have any

• instead of stamps/stencils, try a pencil eraser in paint to make dots. Or bubble wrap, or corrugated cardboard!

• instead of a printed sentiments, find a quote and practice hand lettering! Or stamped lettering

• if you don’t have a spray bottle you can just water down the paint and dribble it on your page

Helpful, but not necessary:

• blowdryer / heat gun
  • paper towels or wet wipes

Reply here if you are interested, and I will send a PM with the Zoom info on Saturday. To make it fun for everyone, if you attend, you must art! (e.g. not just join to chat). Chatting is allowed, of course, but when someone attends without participating, it tends to be distracting to those trying to make, or those trying to talk about the process.

4 Likes

Meeeeeeee!!!

1 Like

I need to see you guys and do some random art…I am having a minor meltdown and need some stability…sign me up…!!!

2 Likes

I’m interested and I might be able to join :slight_smile:

1 Like

darn i am working that morning! i may play along after and share!

1 Like

I would love to join in, but it will be the middle of the night here. If I am awake (I often am awake in the middle of the night) I will join in too :smiley:

1 Like

Hmmmm, would love to but that’s early for me. Might watch ahead and create, just not in the group.

Thanks for finding fun challenges for us to work on, @geekgirl!

1 Like

I am going to make some foam stamps to use for this! I have a load of the foam that I almost put in the give away pile!!!