Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I have been organizing my paper crafting supplies, so hopefully, I’ll be able to get back into it soon! I might start with some ATCs.

1 Like

Maybe it would be easier to find things if it was shorter? I know there is a TON of info in this thread but as it gets longer, it’s harder to go back and find it all.

Yes, that’s my thought process exactly. Is it unwieldy with so much info to scroll through, or more useful to have it all in one space?

Maybe start a new one, but link to the old one? That way, it’s less unwieldy, but the old thread is still easily accessible.

2 Likes

Love her beautiful face…giraffes are my favorite.

I agree about starting a new thread - it is hard to search for posts.
Also, can we have a dedicated spot for the videos for the craft-alongs? The ones you guys do together? I can’t always be there but I’d like to try some of the techniques. Thanks. :wink:

I find any of the long threads unwieldy! But figured it’s just the platform.

I love this idea!

1 Like

Is there a way we could keep them in the thread, though? So we’re not bouncing around the site? Maybe using a unique term so the thread can be searched?

2 Likes

Maybe there could be a dedicated post that we edit to add the new link each time? I guess in this case “we” would have to be the original commenter, unless there’s a way for multiple non-mod users to edit a post.

1 Like

I like the idea of tagging the specific posts; I’m not sure how it works on the technical side, but I’m happy to help with structure, taxonomy, and that kind of geekiness.

Another option would be a “concentrated” thread, where we would only be allowed to add resources, ideas, and instructive material, ideally contributing a number of these things in each post to combine what was spread across several posts in the past. I don’t think this would replace including the same info in the craftalong thread, but instead we could copy the new additions to it as time allows. Perhaps there is a way for all tagged content to get dumped into such a thread? I need to learn about this stuff.

1 Like

This is what I was originally thinking, but it could be a lot for someone to keep up with.

I do like this idea, but it would have to be a word people aren’t likely to use otherwise!

This is also a good idea! It’ll be a challenge to keep people from regular comments but if it’s clearly labeled as “resources only” or something, most people should get it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If we’re considering a second thread, would it make sense to spin off a separate Art Journal Craftalong for those Zoom sessions? People could still post art journaling stuff here if they wanted, but the pre- and post-Zoom stuff (planning logistics, etc.) would be corralled elsewhere and the resources/finished pieces more easily contained. We could even cross-link the two threads. Just a thought.

2 Likes

To me, the appeal is having the paper craftalong discussion all in one place, but maybe the opposite is true.

I guess I’ll see how it shakes out.

3 Likes

I love the giraffe @calluna!!

With the threads, what would make it easiest for new people to join in? I feel like a new thread from time to time (with links to everything else) might make it more welcoming for someone to join in (not so much chat to catch up on).

1 Like

Good points, all. I don’t want there to be restrictions on posting anything in the craftalong thread if it’s even vaguely relevant, since all the interaction and sharing is part of the fun. I also can see how too many posts is intimidating for someone stepping in when were already hundreds of messages in.

Since there aren’t concrete goals associated with this craftalong, I lean toward the creation of a new thread when we reach a certain amount of posts, rather than making it one thread per year. The two just happened to coincide this time!

My first poll:

How many posts should go into this craftalong thread before archiving it and starting a new one?
  • No limit, keep it all in one thread

0 voters

Another idea, though I don’t feel great about it, is for us to go back and individually delete our posts that were only about scheduling or whatnot. It is something folks could do, but no one needs to.

1 Like

Update: A Keanu-style “Whoa.” Go to the end of the first post in the thread, and it Shows ALL THE LINKS POSTED IN THE THREAD!

3 Likes

Just my 2 cents. If you have multiple threads (zoom info, resources, general chat) you ae going to have people crossposting in all the threads - like hey go see my post. etc. or people will only visit some of the threads and miss info.

I know some people have issues finding stuff on the site but I have good luck with the search feature. Also I save a lot of bookmarks and give them my own tags and then I can go to my profile and look in my bookmarks and search.

yeah the links on the top level thread is a good feature.

I didn’t realize the zoom info being in the thread was bothersome. I suppose one thing we can do is post the link to the video and ask people to contact the organizer personally instead of in the thread. I haven’t been doing that because while don’t have issues finding stuff on the main site, I find the personal messaging system/email just awful.

But I personally would prefer to see all the results in the main thread. It is paper and mixed media after all and it does fit the theme.

4 Likes

I like it as it is, but start a fresh one for 2021.
That way, new people can jump in and feel a part, and if you’re wanting to search back for a specific thing you just need to go to the year it was from.

1 Like

I also think keeping it in one main thread, but starting a fresh one for a new year is a good way to go.

I’ll still be joining in however we do it!

3 Likes

I will start a new thread, seems like that’s the best option for the moment. I hope to be more active this year :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes