Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Yep! It’s likely just white acrylic. The reason you don’t see it is because it’s the background and the same color as the paper. So what’s “in front” on the print is actually whatever you put on the plate first. You can keep removing paint to create patterns and adding additional layers behind them after the earlier layers are dry. Then just put on some of whatever color paint you want to be the background and voila, it all comes off the plate!

1 Like

I did not realize this at all, lol. I clearly have not been using my gelli plate to its maximum potential. Maybe that’s why I was always “meh” about the results and never used it. :exploding_head:

1 Like

I have to do this.

I can’t see it, I don’t have an sccount. What am I missing?

You don’t need an account. Click the link then click the video. If it says sign in, just cancel.

This is what I get for any insta link.

1 Like

ugh-I get a similar screen screen but it says I can “cancel” or sign up…let me see if she also has it somewhere else https://www.instagram.com/p/CRB7iT5pJoF/

This page contains two lessons … Start From the Corner and Make Marks. Alisa demonstrated the corner as a mandala but I just couldn’t get nice circles so decided to go wonky. Then decided not to fill an entire page with random marks when I had half a blank page here.

Since I figured out how to make flowers, I just have to have at least one in my doodles.

6 Likes

Do you have the app installed? You want to make sure it’s using the web browser. If you’re on an iPhone, you can hold your finger on the link and click “open in new tab”. Alternately, since you don’t have an account, if you do have the app installed you could uninstall it and it would use the web browser automatically.

1 Like

I don’t. I have a longstanding ethical boycott of certain companies like Nestlé & Facebook. This is the only social media I participate in, though I do need a pinterest account to stalk for swaps. I struggle with that one though.
There r zero apps on this phone. My man works in data, I have learned things I can’t unknow.

3 Likes

Though I typically get the same screen you did (I also lack an account and app), somehow it let me view this video, so something’s funky with it all. Here’s a summary instead:

@photojenn summed up the stamp-making nicely. The stamp is first used to lift brayered paint off the gelli plate, and then in another part of the plate that’s empty, that picked-up paint gets stamped. So you get the positive and the negative of the image in the same print.
A white layer of acrylic paint goes on after this to help pull all the layers off together (apparently pressing your paper on wet paint when there is dry paint underneath is supposed to pull up all the paints, but this hasn’t worked with my mini Gelli plate).

2 Likes

There are many things you can use on a gel plate and then lift it off with white (or really any color) paint. White paint on white paper makes the other media the star.

You can use any kind of markers, pan pastels, water-soluble crayons or chalk, alcohol inks, or ???
You let things dry first - alcohol inks evaporate/dry quickly and the pan pastels need no time to dry, and just use a light layer of paint to lift.

I recommend Carolyn Dube and Birgit Koopsen for all of their free videos on YouTube. They both rep for the 2 companies - Gelli Arts and Gel Press, but Carolyn Dube has been making videos for about 10 years before she started working for Gel Press. Both companies have great free videos on their channels. I also recommend Barb from Joggles.com - she talks A LOT but she covers every little detail if you want the meta version of things.

5 Likes

This is an example of alcohol markers - marks made and left to dry for a short while, then a mixture of dobs of white gesso and Matt medium brayered over:

Still loads of colour left, so for the second print I used white acrylic to help pick up the remaining alcohol ink:

Next print was neon paint and you can see the remaining alcohol marker being picked up, I love this process!

Alcohol ink with white acrylic (left to dry for a short while):

Alcohol ink with white acrylic (not left long to dry):

9 Likes

Great idea to do samples and experiment!

1 Like

I never let anything dry when I used my gelli plate previously. I didn’t know I could. I watched a lot of videos but obviously not the right ones, lol. Maybe I will bust out my gelli plate later. I bet the girls would love to play with it too.

3 Likes

I love this artist, Jane Davenport :slight_smile:
Check out this video! She lets it dry overnight!

Check this one out too! I bought the palette because it looks so cool :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I blame @photojenn for my new obsession :rofl:

19 Likes

They look great!!

Hahahaha I love it! And the birds :heart_eyes:

The snails!