Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

So awesome!!

1 Like

Lol. What accent? :laughing:

Love you Southern ladies though. :wink:

There was mention of wonky houses on the zoom. I’m thinking that is a great prompt/idea, too. I might try some next. I might have to make more backgrounds though. :thinking:

2 Likes

I want to do wonky houses, too!

@loves2experiment — those dolls are so pretty and fun…and yes, very satisfying to make with so many ways to decorate with practically junk stuff!

2 Likes

Wow I love these, especially the faceless ones! Dolls aren’t generally my esthetic but these are wonderful.

3 Likes

I don’t think I have an accent but you do :smiley:

2 Likes

I was very nervous the first one I joined and hardly said anything, which was totally accepted. There’s
no pressure from anyone!

I participated in one a few months ago, someone signed in, people said hi (just to acknowledge she was there) and she kept her mike muted the entire time. It didn’t seem strange, more like she was just enjoying the conversation.

Yesterday, at one point, we were all crafting and the conversation stopped. After a bit, I looked up to be sure I hadn’t disconnected. Everyone was still there :smiley:

8 Likes

I love hearing about your house updates and know that with trying to get your home built, you have precious little time. I am so glad, though, that you come and craft and chat. I think it is one of those things that the more you do it, the more comfortable you are…I like that you can talk, listen, (or both) and learn new things about crafting and each other! We also have fun…there are some goofy moments that I will cherish.

1 Like

@AIMR absolutely! Now I need to figure out what to do with the paper dolls. I think I’m gonna step away from the paper bits and play with my fabric stash :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Gorgeous!
I might be tempted to try one of the faceless ones, since I’m totally unsure about doing faces…hmmmm

and @Reinikka , if you want to try zoom next time, we will be patient with you :slight_smile:
No need to use camera if you don’t want, and certainly no talking required if you just want to spend time with fellow crafters :heart:

2 Likes

I have a tough time with faces as well, so there’s a definite appeal to ‘faceless’ dolls :slight_smile:

If anyone wants some stamped images of faceless dolls to play with, drop me a message and I will pop a batch in the mail.

1 Like

You can use book pages, junk mail, security envelopes, tiny scraps - really anything…no need to make more paper. (Okay, there’s always a reason to paint more paper!)

1 Like

I think these could make great bookmarks - maybe put some in little free libraries? Or the real library?
Or in books donated to your favorite charity shop? Or happy mail? Or secretly to your neighbors?

2 Likes

Ooh…I love the ideas you suggested! It will be fun to hide them in random library books and the neighborhood free libraries. Thank you!!

3 Likes

@underthemountain and Lana have a book charity, they include bookmarks in each volume. She’s always so happy about donations :).
I love the idea of these but what the heck else am I gonna do with fourtyeleven paper ladies? Lol

5 Likes

I’m imagining these as divider tabs in a book/journal, sticking out of the side halfway. Especially if you were to make a mirror-image version, so that they adhere to both sides of the page and can be viewed from the front or the back. I guess the back could either be another character, or the backside of the same character.
I’ve been making some using people from my photo stash, but I’m not sure about them just yet. :thinking:

4 Likes

I am using some of them as focal points for journal pages about what it means to be a woman. I need to make more and have specific images that I feel represent what I want to write.

I also will make some bookmarks out of these and my kimono dolls and just randomly hand them out or give them to people. There are eleventeen hundred women that come to drum circle and I am sure many of them appreciate a little bit of weird.

Besides, I don’t really need a purpose for them if I just enjoy making them…that is the purpose.

6 Likes

Oh yes there are! I had to explain to my hubby what you hoped he hadn’t seen on Monday (what happens on Zoom stays on Zoom) :joy:

2 Likes

lol He is a good sport!

1 Like

Just saw this on Instagram and I think I might need to bust out my hot glue gun now.

She’s making stamps (she calls them stencils) by hot gluing a shape onto a non-stick surface then pressing a piece of cardboard onto it to pick it up.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRB7iT5pJoF/

6 Likes

Omg. Genius. And what is that white layer she puts over it all? Just paint?

I had no idea you could pick up multiple layers on a gelli plate like this. My brain is like…why don’t I only see that top layer?