Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Or if you’ve watercolours, you could do some blue washes onto paper/card and then add a border as @Magpie said. It would take the stark white off the page and break it up a little.

5 Likes

Or book page. I’ve been doing exactly that myself lately & it’s pretty cute.

4 Likes

Also before gluing down King/Queen Birdfish, consider running off some photocopies or scans so you can reuse! A set of plain black and white copies could be re-colored in so many ways, or glue another piece of masterboard over the existing body. And if you line it up to print on the bottom of the page, you could fold the paper over at the top of the creature and trim around the bottom to make a shaped greeting card.

6 Likes

Thank you all! :heart:

1 Like

@calluna Thank you for suggesting I scan them! I don’t know what I’ll do with the scan… but it’s nice to have options :grin:

I painted some sheet music paper this morning. I’m happy with the green one:

But the blue papers aren’t perfect… one was too pale/washed out and the other is uneven (but it kinda works as a water effect?):

So the plan is to make a trio of 4x6 art and surprise her when they’re done. I even bought frames so they’ll be nice and protected and displayable. Next step is to decide if I should paint another paper blue… and also decide if the birdfish with music scales looks silly on top of the sheet music… then I’ll either make more background options and/or start assembling :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sorry for hijacking the craftalong thread! :sweat_smile: But I really appreciate having a place to brainstorm, play around, and get opinions and advice :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

As part of Fodder School prep I got a notebook to take notes, jot down ideas, etc. I decided to create a quick spread for address labels.

11 Likes

That’s a great idea and looks awesome! I may borrow this idea :innocent:

1 Like

I’m not much of a note-taker so not sure if I’ll do this. But yours is off to a great start.

I’m not either really. I’m hoping to stick with it because I think it will be useful to flip though for ideas in the future.

2 Likes

I made some wonky bits on watercolor

12 Likes

I love the uneven blue background and I think the sheet music is genius.

@photojenn your notebook is a great idea, keep posting pages I’m learning a lot from them. Plus they look great

2 Likes

I’m getting excited about this project! Nothing is stuck permanently yet and there is some trimming to do, but I am loving this! Part of the border will be covered by the frame’s mat. Even with the bright border my eye still goes to the bird :partying_face:

11 Likes

The white behind the bird and the colored music sheet are perfect for the background.

2 Likes

Great idea to do them on water colors. I’m running out of some of my favorites so I need to make another batch.

I like the border. Makes the bird really pop.

2 Likes

Even though the bird and the border are different, their colors go easily with each other. And great serendipity, by the bird’s mouth it says “pp”, which could certainly be shorthand for bird peeps. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m really happy with how it’s turning out. I didn’t have a good border section from the leftover birdie pieces and I was contemplating making more in the colors I wanted… but then I realized I still have a stack of papers that I haven’t “sorted” yet :sweat_smile: Sooooo many papers :flushed: (I may have a problem… lol)

2 Likes

I think the word you are looking for is “options”. You have options :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Options, possibilities, supplies, ideas …

5 Likes

I think you lose the birdfish against the sheet music and you don’t want that.

3 Likes