Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Beautiful. I have a friend who does watercolor collages and makes her own collage paper using rice paper. Wonderful technique.

Nice work. I’m not a fan of making mandala so didn’t put much effort in to that lesson.

I’ve been playing around with patterns, trying to create new ideas and enjoying that. I’ll have to post a few pictures.

1 Like

Here are the first 2 colors, both teal/aqua. One dark, one light. It took 4 hours to dry.

I dried it atop my craft mat so I could peel it off. The back side is super shiny, almost like a paint skin, and it picks up all the other bits on the mat.

I added a magenta so we’ll see what it looks like in the morning.

6 Likes

They are beautiful

Those look great!

I tea-dyed some coffee filters using bitterly pea flower tea so they are a pretty pink-ish color

9 Likes

I like that dye job!

1 Like

I want to propose a paper-based swap for October. Any ideas? Too busy to swap right now? Too many projects?

Let me know what you think…

4 Likes

I’m always down for masterboard swaps :wink: But I’d also be interested in a small crafted ephemera swap or a journal making swap. Or anything collectable like inchies, ATCs, etc. I know there is the onging ATC swap so it might be silly to have another one at the same time, but it could be more focused with assigned partners and maybe a theme for the swap?

I remember there used to be alphabet swaps where each round was for a set of three assigned letters… I also recall an alphabet inchie swap and I think everyone ended up making and receiving each letter but the partners were mixed up so you’d get a mix of letters from different people…

I also like slightly more generic swaps where I could make a journal but I’d receive a set of greeting cards (for example).

4 Likes

AHHH! CRAFTSTER TRADING CARDS! I mean, Lettuce style. They need an update. & I love them and would make one for every participant because they are the literal best thing EVER!

5 Likes

Great ideas - keep 'em coming…

I was thinking about a paper swap that could be for pages for a junk journal. Some could be “crafted” for a particular theme, and some would just be paper from your stash.

1 Like

I would be up for pages for a junk journal. I have a limited collection of different papers so getting more variety would really help me make a truly junk journal…

1 Like

I had an idea for an ephemera swap. Either you get up to 5 partners and mail each one a 1-2 oz envelope of random ephemera or run it kinda like the ATC swap where you claim the last person posted and send them an envelope then some one claims you.

No crafting. Just sending papery bits

6 Likes

Seconding what a lot of folk have already suggested, but I would love to be a part of an crafted ephemera swap, or paper swap, with junk journaling in mind. I have only been at it for a couple months and have gathered a small stash. I’d love to get more for the pile, but more importantly be able to give some of the stuff I have made from tutorials since I make multiples as I craft my way through learning.

I have put myself on a swap ban, but I would 100% break it for a Lettuce Craft Trading Card Swap!

3 Likes

I’m really enjoying the Watch.Learn.Play. videos and had fun making these little houses. I realized I’ve been trying to use all the colors instead of sticking with ones I love so I’m planning to make more of these where I focus a bit more on the colors.

15 Likes

The October theme for the Happy Mail Craftalong is recipe so I made a bunch of cards in prep for it. I hard drew the word recipe and then copied it on several pages and doodled each one.

I have decided mass production like this is not something I enjoy.

13 Likes

They turned out really nice!

1 Like

Those are great! You could also copy and print these completed ones. They wouldn’t be as 100% unique but would still be appreciated :slight_smile:

I’ve chosen the recipe I’ll be sharing in the craftalong but I still haven’t decided if I want to hand write it onto recipe cards or print it to save my hand :sweat_smile: I’m leaning toward printing :wink:

2 Likes

That sounds fun. I’d also be down for an art journal page swap (which is probably very similar to a junk journal page?)

I LOVE the ongoing style for swaps.

There could be a general paper craft wish swap (ATCs, bookmarks, papers, ephemera, stamps, and all the paper things! :heart_eyes:) - I’d sign up for something like that :slight_smile: I’d probably sign up for any small commitment ongoing swap, either specified (like ephemera) or for anything/everything :heart:

6 Likes

I, too, love the ongoing style swaps! It’s way less stressful for me to look at lists, choose something I know I’ll feel good about, and only choose what I have time for. And, a general papercrafting wish list style sounds fun. That said, I don’t think I’d be able to commit to a papercrafting swap right now, but I do love this idea.

2 Likes