Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2022

My bestie called yesterday to ask if it was possible. She was looking at a typewriter and wanted to know before she bought it.

I did the above at home on a manual WeRMemory Keepers typewriter but I typically use the electric one at school.

1 Like

You can print on fabric too.

I cut a piece of cotton the same size as a page, taped it on and ran it through the printer. Worked just fine for me.

4 Likes

That I’ve done. Stuck fabric to freezer paper & run it through a printer. Has to be a certain kind, ink jet vs laser. I didn’t test it in the laundry though.
I copied this little jackelop for an interactive quilt.

I think that went to @sloth003 , she made me the most amazing interactive Sesame Street quilt, OMG, the coolest.

7 Likes

That hangs beside my side door😊

I used Bubble Jet Set 2000 to make a “cabinet of curiosity” botanical drawing quilt for a swap at the old place. Just soak fabric, dry, iron on to freezer paper and print. Peel paper off and set with the iron. My test samples were pretty colour fast.

3 Likes

Playing with a new card idea … shakers. Have to figure out how to get it flatter or attached from behind instead.

10 Likes

Fun!!

2 Likes

At my craft group yesterday we made cute pockets for sharing tea, gift cards, etc. I found a use for some of my copycat fodder :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also more houses. Some made yesterday some made last week.

7 Likes

I figured out how to attach the shaker from behind but still not happy with the overall look. The happy birthday circle should be smaller and probably have something more than just a white background but nothing that distracts from the sequins.

4 Likes

How are you attaching it? Have you tried double sided tape? I use this tape I got from Amazon all the time, it’s really strong

ETA - whoops I originally read that you weren’t happy with how it was attached. I don’t have any suggestions on composition. But I think your card is cute!

2 Likes

It looks pretty darn cute! How about a solid coloured circle around the shaker, on top of the edge, you know? To highlight it & make the opening a bit smaller?

2 Likes

What if the shaker circle background were the same as the card background (so in this case, a smattering of dots)? Or would the shaker disappear into the card too much?

2 Likes

Has anyone taken any classes from Carolyn Dube? She has a Gel Printing Fundamentals Workshop that’s currently open for registration. The price is a little high for me, but I might put it on the wish list of folks have experience and would recommend. I love the colors and layers she gets.

1 Like

I’ve taken a couple of her shorter classes as part of larger ones (Artsy Meetup Marathon, Wanderlust 2022). I’ve found her classes to be lacking a bit in substance but it might be better with an entire workshop that she put together.

I took this Gel Printing Unraveled class with Birgit Koopsen a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. Birgit is a wealth of knowledge about all things gel printing. It was a bit expensive, same price point as the one you linked, but I found it worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I tried to go back because I KNOW that some recommended gelli print videos were linked elsewhere but I can’t seem to find them. In my searching I did find Dube’s name associated with the marathon and she links Wanderlust on her website.

I think I will skip the workshop and keep playing for now…

1 Like

Highly recommend checking out Birgit’s YouTube channel. She has a ton of great free content there (heavy overlap with the workshop).

4 Likes

That is a good idea, thanks. I had thought to take this apart to use the sequins again but may try your idea first.

I never thought of that but it might just work, thanks.

1 Like

I’ve taken a few, including this one. She is thorough - I mean very thorough! The color wheel lesson is repeated in many of her classes. But she is a type and you have to like her enough to sit through her teaching. I like her and I don’t mind the amount of detail.

That being said, I agree with the above - there is a LOT of free content on YouTube and Birgit Koopsen is a Gelli Master and she has many videos.

4 Likes

I was specifically looking for your recommendations in previous posts. I was able to search your posts for “gelli” and found you recommended Carolyn and Birgit before. Also Barb from Joggles!

3 Likes

I figured it out

Next project … expand my doodles and stop using the same one over and over and over …

12 Likes

That was the perfect solution.

2 Likes