Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2022

Free 5 day abstract painting “challenge” (I think it’s just a class, not sure why it’s called a challenge) starting April 4th

3 Likes

Thanks! I signed up. :smile:

2 Likes

Not sure what I’m getting in to but I signed up as well :smiley:

Never thought I’d do this sort of art work but everything I’ve tried so far has been good. Really pushed me outside my comfort zone but that’s okay.

6 Likes

You sound like me 18 months ago :slight_smile:

3 Likes

as my previous boss liked to say - “lean into your discomfort!”

6 Likes

Same. I considered myself a crafter before, but not really an “artist.” I’m still not sure I’d go that far, but I’m enjoying the exploration. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve started referring to myself as an “aspiring mixed media artist” and it feels so weird. But, I make art so I’m an artist. You make art, so YOU are an artist too :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I agree with the sentiment, but whenever I hear/read “lean in” it makes me rage-y.

4 Likes

Haha…aspiring artist feels better. I will have to borrow that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

they’re all enablers! a year ago I would have been all “what would I do with a master board or washi tape? well at least thats one thing I’ll never get into” bahahahaha

5 Likes

I’m doing a decorated envelope swap with the theme equinox (of the definitions suggested, I chose halves) … one black and white and one colourful

9 Likes

I don’t know where to post these because they are still WIP but they are mixed media and you are my peeps so here goes.

The art foamies stamps stamped on fabric with acrylic paint and a little bit of embroidery (not much because I don’t take the time to learn cool stitches). I put felt under the fabric but now I don’t know how to finish. Sew the outline and stuff? Keep flat? Just glue into a journal? Greeting cards? Aaaarrrrgggghhhh. I guess all of the above.

7 Likes

All those things! They will be great everywhere!

1 Like

Here are my tags from tonight’s Under the Influence class where we used Sophie De Cort for inspiration.

9 Likes

Another decorated envelope …

5 Likes

This is my interpretation of “equinox” for the Elevated Envelope swap.

I splattered paint on tissue paper to represent the 4 seasons and then used the same koi fish stencil - spring & summer going in one direction and winter & fall going in the other direction.

And of course, sending one day late because I have a thing with deadlines!

8 Likes

Interesting interpretation. The one thing I don’t like about that swap, you don’t know if your envelopes arrived at their destination.

1 Like

Yes, I like that on the iHanna post card swaps, most folks include their email address. I send a note to let them know I’ve received.

But at least I’m entertaining the postal carriers!

1 Like

Spending time making paint-y book pages.
Scraped gesso (Jess-oh)
Acrylic ink spritzed with water
Smoosh pages together
Water-soluble crayons
Pencil scribbles
Stenciling
Oh, and dirty paint water for some extra grunge

Followed a video by bbhenry on YouTube.

I need a new box for all of this collage paper!

9 Likes

Fun! Gotta love that dirty paint water effect!

2 Likes