Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Everyone’s pages look so great!! I hope I can join in next time too!

1 Like

Those chevrons are bangin! I like your letter outline, too. Your organic color spacing - esp on the first one - is really harmonious.

I had shown a couple of journal pages on yesterday’s zoom that a couple people expressed interest in.
@JoyfulClover @megwell @calluna @craftADDchick

Here are my pages and the videos I used as inspiration. They were attempts are leaving more white space which is hard for me.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing those videos! I really like them both, but I can understand why leaving white space is a challenge. But, it does create a place a calm on the page, which is nice.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links, gg!! I am going to try them both!

Your versions are spectacular!

I like the white space; as a stand-alone image it is striking, and it also allows for using the page for written journaling if you see fit.

Here are my completed (?) pages from yesterday:

I’m not getting clear shots on my phone but they’re on the themes of transformation, feathers and birds, courtesy of @Edel. I did the two in tandem, one on an old sheet of cardstock and the other on a bunch of old photos that were glued to a book page. The next time I try this, I’ll mark on the back where interesting things are on the photos so I can scrub off paint selectively and have the photo peek through.
I think I’ve successfully disguised what at first appeared to be a set of fake-tanned boobs…but since I’ve seen them, I can’t unsee them. :laughing:

6 Likes

Hahahaha. I don’t see tanned boobs so you did a good disguise job!

I love the dragon fruit color!!!
Your pages are so vibrant.

1 Like

I don’t generally like going back and reading my journaling which is why so many of my pages just have a quote or a couple words. If I feel like journaling I do it on the page before covering it in paint. Gets me thoughts out and then I wash my hands of it!

3 Likes

Great idea! And you can then share them publicly with a whole extra layer of meaing in there that no one else will know about without your consent. I need to keep that in mind. I’m still working out what art journaling is going to signify to me and how to approach it.

@calluna I love your pages! And nary a boob in sight! The diamonds are perfect, and your layering is on point. The photo really shows a lot more detail! I really appreciate many of the motifs you used in your pieces. Great job!

clever woman! I like this!

1 Like

Though I missed the party I still wanted to try it. Took me a couple nights but here are my two versions.

@calluna those pages are soooo pretty!

@geekgirl love your pages, I wouldn’t mind trying some white space. Those turned out lovely

11 Likes

Wowza, @audity! Your colors are so vibrant! And you covered the space really well! I like the dark frame - is that with ink?

1 Like

Swooning! I love that you can have so many colors blended and they don’t turn to mud; no easy task!

1 Like

Your colors are great @audity!
I love you can still see your book pages under the paint. I tried but still ended up obscuring most of mine.

1 Like

Yes, gg! I thought the same! The colors are so vibrant, but still transparent!!!

@audity Lol! “Don’t hug a cockroach” & “walk around and straighten up your intestines “… :joy: Sage advice!

And ditto the remarks about your colors! Stunning!!

1 Like

My guess is Dylusion paints

I see you.

Also, shamefully, I didn’t even read the sentiments. Hilarious!!!

1 Like

The full quote is “don’t hug a cockroach when you feel like doing that” just some more nonsense from inspirobot.

I used pan pastels.

I didn’t do the gesso step on the pages that you can see well. I also used artist acrylic paints, which some shades are transparent.

I use liquitex basics acrylic paints, they seem to blend muuuuch better without getting muddy, than regular craft acrylics.

1 Like

I’ve been making the switch to liquitex from craft paints as I use up the craft paints. I had also bought a couple other brands but am liking the liquitex the most.

I am pretty heavy handed with the gesso. I need to back off on using so much.

2 Likes