Passing on the Zipper Pouch Love!

My sister has been learning to sew, and while she’s tackled some relatively complex projects, she had never sewn in a zipper before. I had planned to teach her a couple of years ago, but we ran out of time. We finally had time yesterday!

I kept it simple and just did a straightforward pouch with her. But, now that she has the basic construction down, she can change it up in the future!

I did show her how to swap out the zipper pulls, and I added a piece of zipper as a little grab tag on mine. She did a great job on hers, and I was the one who made the mistakes- I forgot to open the zipper before I stitched the sides of the pouch (I realized my mistake as I was almost done), and I forgot to topstitch one side (I did it after the pouch was finished).

7 Likes

Nice to share your skills!

Pouches are always so handy…just when you think you can’t possible use another, you can!

Love the idea of using part of a zipper as a grab!

1 Like

I cannot resist zipper pouches. Sometimes I see a fun one in a store, and even though I have the skills to make a pouch, I’ll still buy it! They also make great gifts, and I shared a bunch of ideas with my sister.

I got the idea for using the zipper as a grab from making the Bendy Bags (which I learned how to make in a Craftsy class). I usually buy my zippers longer than I need (especially because it seems like JoAnn Fabrics prices them all the same regardless of length) so I can cut off the metal stops, and then I have a little bit left to make the grab tab.

1 Like

I also buy the longer ones because then you always have the right size! I love the idea of separating two colors and making a new zipper as well…like you, I learned how to do it using a fork!

Next time we swap, remind me to send you some zippers…I misread a description when I ordered some red, white and blue zippers…I thought it said 10 of each…turned out it was 50 of each… :)…no way I am making 150 pouches…lol

3 Likes

I agree, pouches are my downfall, there’s just so many things you can do with them!

2 Likes

If I carried a pocketbook on a regular basis, it would be filled with several small pouches to keep things organized.

2 Likes