Patchwork Zippered Pouch

For the last day of my Summer holidays I wanted to get another project ticked off my 2021 list, so I chose to finish this zippered pouch :slight_smile: It’s quite roomy, and I’m going to use it to transfer little zippered pouches that contain odds and ends from my handbag to my work backpack each day.

If you are new to sewing, this is a great video tutorial which will be able to help you. I usually make these off the top of my head, but it was good to see a very straight forward tute as a refresher. I fudged all of the measurements to go by the size of the patchwork panels I first made. The denim was a last minute addition, but I love it! The rest of the fabric is quilting weight cotton, and after making it I’m wishing that I had have used some interfacing to give it a little more structure. I will also add a side tab in to the next pouch I make, just to up my pouch game.

28 Likes

Pretty pouch!

2 Likes

Super cute!!

1 Like

This is really nice

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

I love your patchwork fabrics. They are bright, fun, and perfectly aligned. Fantastic bag!

So sweet! I like the colors and patterns you chose.

I love the bright colors you chose for the patchwork. I feel like most patchworks are pastels or less modern fabrics. This is beautiful!

Such a nice looking bag! That is a great way to highlight special fabrics and use up scraps too. I like the denim very much, I agree some interfacing would give the cotton stiffness to match. You could add it now though, I have opened a pouch back up to do that after the fact. I like a side pull or 2 as well, just to make it easier to open and close the zip.

I really enjoyed the video you linked. I too usually cut and stitch a pouch from memory but I do like to check out how others are doing things to scoop up tips and tricks. The one part of pouch making I find a pain is getting those lovely boxed edges on each side of the zipper tab. How she sews next to but not over them is a good one. It does leave a tiny opening that something inside the bag could slip out of, like a pencil or bobby pin, but I think the pro finishing is worth that chance.
I also thought edge stitching on only the outside zipper edge and not both that and the lining was interesting. I usually capture both but can see how just stitching the one leaves a crisper finish. I’ll be lifting that little gem.
Taking the time to press the seam allowances is a step that’s often skipped but it is easier to do it where she does rather than fussing to roll out the edges after it’s turned right side out. That was a good highlight.
How do you feel about the corner cut out bits? I don’t often cut those, just mark the stitch line at the corners, sew then cut the excess. It seems to me it would be the same amount of work either way, different but equal.

One thing I like to do is spend a minute or 2 hand sewing the opening rather than machine stitching because I prefer that part be invisible and it is really very quick to do.

1 Like

Great idea to go back in and add interfacing. Although, since loading it up ready to go for work, this particular bag will do well without it, as it’s more to wrangle other items together rather than protect them.
Sewing as close as I could next to the zipper tabs left only the slightest gap, you’d be rather unlucky to lose something. The denim, being quite thick, made it rather difficult to do so, I had to have my presser foot up and wheel by hand at one stage.
Top stitching only the outside zipper was a game changer, so easy! I’m pedantic about top stitching being perfect, since your eye is drawn to any wobbles, and this (and possibly no interfacing) allowed me to do this first go, easily. I would definitely recommend :ok_hand:t2:
I have to admit, I didn’t press the seams open, I skipped that. I only did it for the opening to be sewn back together, but I do see the benefit and will do it next time.
Cutting out the corners does make it easier to box them, as you’re just lining up the edges when you fold them on to themselves, rather than folding then marking, which can be quite fiddly especially if your pouch is smaller.
Hand sewing the opening shut depends on my mood and how many I have to make :stuck_out_tongue:

I will try cutting out the corners, thank you for your feed back about that! I’m looking forward to the top-stitching trick. Interfacing on only the lining could keep the edge stitching from getting bulki-wobs.
I have dozens of gift bags in progress out of Xmas fabric (I’m cutting squares for you!), since they are for us I’ll be hand stitching the gap. I know myself, it would bother me every year if I didn’t. A lil’ OCD there I recon.

1 Like

This is a very attractive pouch!

1 Like

Why didn’t I ever consider a bigger zipper pouch!? I have been sort of fascinated by zipper pouches, but never convinced I had much use for any more of the usual smaller ones. I love the cheery patchwork with the denim! About how big is yours?

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Beautiful job, pouches are the most practical thing.

1 Like

Oooh, without measuring it, I think 10x8

1 Like

I love making pouches and small baskets using patchwork…

I general use fusible felt and do a few quilting lines when I do patchwork.

I agree that pressing during all the construction makes for a much nicer pouch. I thought the tutorial was very good! The only thing I would have done different is match the stripes and hand sew the opening in the lining with an invisible stitch…but, shortcuts are good and since most pouches are functional, no one else is going to see inside!

I need bigger pouches as well…

1 Like

Very nice. In a pinch felt makes a nice interfacing. I also love the Pelion sf 101.

2 Likes

@Animegirlie this is the post with the link to pouch tutorial and conversation around it all :hugs:

2 Likes

Oh, yes! You know I love a scrappy thing, & that tutorial is terrific. My sewing room floor is newly repaired, I’m hoping to get a little stitching in soon!

2 Likes