Pears painting

My local art group has a show due on Friday, so I got my paints out yesterday and had some colourful fun! The theme for this show is messy and chaotic, it was a good challenge to not overthink, and not overwork the piece.

It’s approx. 8" x 10.5", acrylic (mostly Golden High Flow), a little bit of modelling paste through a stencil, on 100% cotton Strathmore heavyweight mixed media paper.

I really enjoyed making this one. I like the Golden High Flow, you can thin them to get wet-in-wet watercolour effects, but with the durability of acrylic. All these colours were mixed from just three - yellow, teal, and magenta - and then finished with just a touch of ordinary white mixed with yellow for some opaque highlights.

33 Likes

I LURVE this! The colors are exciting and the subject is comforting. I have had a lot of advertising for the Golden High Flow lately and it’s neat to see something painted with it that wasn’t for advertising by someone I “know”!

2 Likes

This takes still life to a whole new level! Beautiful!

2 Likes

This is really cool!

1 Like

Wow, that is really stunning!

1 Like

oh wow! I love this. the modeling paste looks great.

1 Like

Thank you friends! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wow, it is so vibrant and luscious! A winner!

1 Like

Just amazing!

I was just talking to my boys about yellow, magenta and teal/cyan being the ‘real’ primary colours. I will have to show them.

2 Likes

Luscious is the perfect descriptor! I love this!

1 Like

Beautiful. :heart:

1 Like

The bright beautiful colors just sing! I love this so very much. The texture just takes it to the next level. Sooooooo gorgeous!

1 Like

Gorgeous! And that text peaking through is magnificent.

1 Like

Yes! You can get wonderful vibrant colours with these three, I really enjoy working with these primaries.

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

1 Like

Oh this is just lovely. I can’t believe you only mixed three colors on this piece to get all those shades and tones. And the molding paste really adds interest and wonderful texture.

2 Likes

The colours are gorgeous. Very, very nice work!
A friend’s mom used to photograph pears, she moved to auz too! You live in the land of pear transplants :pear: :smile:

1 Like

Heehee! :pear: :sparkles:

Wow! This is such a fun use of color! I like your technique with the stencil, it definitely adds an unexpected bit of texture. If you ever decide to teach another LC class, I think messy and chaotic would be a great subject!

1 Like

OMGoodness! This is gorgeous! Don’t know what it’s called but I’ve been wanting to do one of these multicolored paintings for a long time. I’ve tried to evaluate them and it seems that the shadowing and shading is done in different colors. I like using stencils in mixed media artwork too and I haven’t yet used one with a texture medium.

I like pears and I love the text stencil that you used. The painting looks like it has golden metallic highlights because of the way that you painted it. I would not tire of looking at this on my wall.

1 Like