Petri Dish Art - Do NOT Eat

A while ago, on another site cough cough I posted some initial attempts I made at some petri dish art. This is done by pouring resin in plain petri dishes, and then dropping in various colors of alcohol ink. It’s really a fascinating process, but the end results are quite unpredictable. I finally got around to making some more and I really think I’m starting to get the hang of it!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with them…:thinking:

28 Likes

WOW WOW WOW! Those are just gorgeous! I kind of want to try that too!

1 Like

I remember your first batch…these are even better! They would be awesome as coasters :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know if you want to pick my brain - I have thoughts lol.

Are the dishes hard to find?

Thank you! A friend I have gifted some of my earlier works is using them exactly for that. It’s definitely possible. I think I’d want to back the bottom with some felt though. It’s not flush against the bottom, so I’ve experienced some cracking on the rim when trying to use it as a coaster (my wet glass would stick to it, and pick it up and the drop it…yeah, I’ve learned…lol)

I ordered them off of Amazon.

Thanks!

1 Like

Are these glass petri dishes? Hmmm, I think I have a small stash of them in storage…

No, plastic. I didn’t know glass petri dishes were a thing. Would up the quality on the end product I’d say. Not that I think the plastic petri dishes come off looking cheap - you barely notice it really.

Oh totally…we used them in the lab for experiments. We also used the plastic ones (which were disposable).

1 Like

These are so freakin’ cool.

1 Like

OMG! I love these! Were they hard to make? I may need to try this!

1 Like

Not too hard at all - the major thing to be mindful of is how big your petri dish is vs how much alcohol ink you put in it. Based on all the results I’ve had, too much alcohol ink will drop to the bottom and make it look like my beginning examples (sort of like brain slices, cool but not what I was going for), and not enough ink will not get the drippy growing effect. It’s tricky to gauge which is why I still think the results are kind of a crapshoot til you get the feel for it.

These are so beautiful!

1 Like

those are super cool!!

1 Like

Mesmerizing!

1 Like

Oh my gosh — these are really cool! They remind me of Magic Rocks. (Do they still make those?)

2 Likes

@Mountains_and_Clouds I totally remember those! I think they still make them.

1 Like

Very cool, some of them remind me of tide pools.

1 Like