Petri Dish Art - Do NOT Eat

These are so great!

1 Like

I love these, they remind me of coral reefs for some reason

1 Like

I gave each of the kids one of the set you handed over to me at our last visit and they are ENTRANCED by them! For real, the teen and tweens are in AWE of your incredible crafting. I have to show them these new ones, too cool.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the love!

@Magpie I almost didn’t recognize you!! Welcome home :smiley:

The depth of colour is really beautiful, the fact that you can see different layers is fascinating, I really like it :smiley: Great job

1 Like

These are gorgeous! I would love to see a little wall installation with 3 or 5 of them. I think it would be pretty cool. I love the lifelike look of the little “tentacles” inside of them.

3 Likes

Oh, man, are these cool!

1 Like

I remember these!! They are just as cool now as they were on that other cough cough site.

1 Like

These look familiar! Love the depth.

I tried to do some of these on my own and totally forgot about the white layer…what was it again? Just white alcohol ink?

1 Like

I wonder if the effect would show up enough in something smaller, like a pendant?

They are beautiful…you could take pictures of them and frame them…I think they would make awesome wall art :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does actually! I don’t want to steal the topic but I’ve worked with this technique for awhile just because it’s a lot of fun.

In fact, I don’t start with a form when I make mine. I just start with a silicone mold. You can get “coaster” molds made from silicone on amazon for pretty cheap and just pour your resin straight in and then add your alcohol inks - no actual petri dish required.

6 Likes

Yeah, we used the Pinata brand white alcohol ink. Key to the whole process lol.

@PhoenixFireDesigns I have a mold that I bought and have tried to use but it’s a bit smaller than the petri dishes and I just like the overall effect of having it in them. Just personal preference though. Could totally do other shapes.

1 Like

@sheepBlue - I think it’s cool. I’ve actually never seen anyone start with the dish but I kinda like it. (I just wanted to let other people know if they wanted to try it they could start without the dishes if they didn’t want to have to track down another supply. :wink: )

These are awesome! They would be cool hanging, like on a window or in a tree/Christmas tree I think!

3 Likes

I am the proud and happy owner of some of the earlier pieces, and they are beautiful to look at in person. The depth adds so much interest that is hard to capture in a photo.

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing… If you could use a tiny drill bit to add an eye hook and string them. I bet they would look awesome in a window. :heart:

3 Likes

PhoenixFire, those are gorgeous!!

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

Incredible!

1 Like

So beautiful! I would totally use a drill bit and then hang them up in a sunny window! Or even outside for garden art! Where do you get your alcohol inks?

1 Like