Pizza Sauce

In my efforts to go garlic-free (garlic infused oil is fine - see this post) I made my own pizza sauce.

This recipe made 3.5 cups and I portioned it out and froze for future uses.

Pizza Sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomato (could use tomato sauce)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 Tbs garlic infused oil (I used homemade or you could use 2 Tbs olive oil and saute a couple of garlic cloves diced, or skip the oil and just use 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar (optional - helps cut acidity)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer 30 minutes. Use immediately or freeze.

I found these freezing trays on amazon. they freeze 1 cup portions. They are pricey but because I have to make a lot from scratch they are really useful as I can freeze things in compact 1 cup shapes. they are called Souper Cubes - I’m not affiliated with them - I just think they have a good product.

I thought about wrapping each portion in plastic wrap but thought that would be wasteful so I am going to see how they hold up just all in the bag together.

12 Likes

I love the idea of a one cup freezer tray. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

2 Likes

That is so smart to freeze it. I am going to have to try out the recipe.

1 Like

Interesting… the souper cubes intrigue me.

That sauce looks and sounds delicious! I may have to try your recipe!

I debated a long time before getting them because of the price tag but I did a lot of research and reading reviews and there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent product for a cheaper price. They have lids so no freezer odor while your food freezes. The frozen food pops out really easily. And they wash up quick.

1 Like

Another yummy-looking recipe! Great hint on the freezing.

This looks delish, yo

That’s great! I love that you’re sharing all your from scratch basics with us. :slightly_smiling_face: