Plant eating pig preventer “- D&F 2020 Q1 Contest Entry”

We have a pig problem; javalinas–desert pigs–love to eat plants, even ones with thorns. I’ve been wanting raised planters, but finally realized I could repurpose the ratty patio set that was supposed to have been posted on freecycle a while ago.

Chair with no seat

Painted with leftover gate paint

I
With a big pot (measure the seat opening, and choose a tapered pot with a base a couple inches smaller than the opening, and with a rim a couple inches bigger.). Put some rocks in the bottom for extra stability.

With a cactus rescued from the pigs.

And the table, which got the old glass top from our dining table.

It hasn’t been painted because some doves built a nest in one of the plants. The unstable top is strapped on with recycled gate cable.

20 Likes

That’s a fantastic repurpose! I love it. The color you painted the chair is really pretty.

2 Likes

That looks great! The chair reminds me of a toilet my old neighbor used to have in the yard as a planter - it looked awesome. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love this! What a great idea.

2 Likes

Great idea!
Makes me wonder if I could figure something out to rescue plants from deer around here. Would definitely need something taller though… :thinking:

2 Likes

I heard deer hate stepping on chicken wire, and if you put a barrier of it at least 6’ wide, laid flat on the ground around your garden, they won’t cross it. But I’ve never tried it.

1 Like

The chair planter is a great idea! That would be perfect on my deck where I don’t want pots to sit and accelerate the wood rot.

2 Likes

What a neat idea you had … good job!

1 Like

Love the chair pot!

And yes, javelinas are the BIGGEST pain. Coyotes, too (for altogether different reasons).

1 Like

WOW! Way to turn around that patio furniture! I love the color of the gate paint with the colors on that pot, too.

1 Like