POLL: Which 5 Swaps Should Open First?

I respect that; I recognize that I’d probably feel the same way if I were on the other side of the issue. I hope you’ll consider jumping into swapping anyway, whether it’s with this initial mini-flight or later. As a relatively new swapper myself, I can say that I’ve been welcomed warmly.

4 Likes

LHK, I know you are new to the site, so you are probably not aware of the fact that Craftster, aka ‘the old site’ operated for well over 16 years, and there were literally thousands upon thousands of swaps run, with every conceivable theme. Quite honestly, there aren’t a lot of ideas that haven’t already been swaps there. Please trust me that no one is attempting to ignore the ideas of new members.

Also, this is just the tip of the swapping iceberg. We are starting with just 5, while the database is being finished to open up swapping for real.

9 Likes

I think those years of swapping gave many of us the information we knew would work with the least amount of flakers and disappointed swappers. There were always new and fun ideas that came from current events, cool movies or TV shows, games, crafting trends, new products, etc.

Newbie swaps were set up to be a friendly and helpful place to learn the ropes and to be encouraged to try new things without any of the pitfalls.

We were all newbies once. We remember what it felt like and it must have been a good experience because we are all still here, biting at the bit to swap again and again.

Like anything in real life, it is a two way street…we welcome input and participation from newbies and newbies have to prove their merit as well.

9 Likes

What everyone else said, and also - these first options were solicited with 2-fold requirements: 1 - an enticing idea, and 2 - someone with experience to run it. These ideas really arose organically from those guidelines. A newbie would have to solicit a seasoned swap organizer to get their idea on the list, which isn’t impossible, just less likely.

10 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, but this time, everyone that volunteered already had an idea of what they wanted to do for their swap. Once the database is up, we will no longer vote on which swaps to do; anyone eligible will be free to open a swap of (almost) any theme at any time. You’ll be amazed at the wide variety available. I, for example, once participated in a Meat Swap. Got the coolest steak and sushi bracelet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

racky…a MEAT swap??? What was the description for that??? You’re joking, right?

Would I lie to you?
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=54642.0

5 Likes

ha ha ha yeah…there have been a few oddball swaps that were really quite surprising and fun!

I love the standards but I also love the new ones…I get confused on the long ones and the continuing ones, but others love them…something for everyone!!!

5 Likes

Sadly some of the gallery pics are no longer there but what is there is hilarious and now I want to be in a meat swap.

3 Likes

I perused many, many swap galleries during my short time on Craftster, but somehow I missed that one :laughing: . Filing away for later viewing.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I will join in on any of the swaps. Even if one of the ones I picked run. But I love seeing swaps. All kinds of cool things.

1 Like

Thank you for adding input!

I looked back at your suggestions in that thread and I love them! It doesn’t look like anyone volunteered to organize one of them this time around, though. If an organizer had volunteered, it would be on the list for sure!

Once we have the full system in place, there will be many more themes floating around. This is just a soft launch, so to speak. More to come! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Actually @LemonHillKnitting did suggest magnets in this thread

and there is a magnet swap in the poll!

Also the Go Bananas swap is so inclusive and could be used to swap so many different things. Kind of like your swappers delight suggestion Dana.

8 Likes

Thank you for this! Some of my best crafting happens when I’m swapping, I can’t wait :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Meat swap - I’m still chuckling! :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hmmm … maybe :joy::rofl: but I’m sure you’d have a very good reason :upside_down_face::smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve taken a bit of a craft hiatus for the past few years, slowing down more and more and feeling less and less creative. BUT after following a breadcrumb trail after heading over to the old site and realising what’s happened I am SUPER excited to be back home.

I have voted. I’m hoping to be able to join a swap when they begin if I can, I LOVED swaps previously.

11 Likes

As a swapper in good standing on Craftster, you are welcome to join up to three swaps in this first round of test swapping. :slightly_smiling_face: Glad to see you here!

5 Likes

Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

It was the first time going to the old site since it closed. It felt like a home I moved out of and was nostalgic about. :heart:

That said…thank you for the link…I don’t know why I ever questioned the existence of a meat swap. :woozy_face:

1 Like