Pop-up basket

Apparently, it’s basket season here on LettuceCraft and I have joined the movement with this fat quarter pop up.

It’s a fun little storage basket with a spring sewn in between the layers. The spring helps it retain it’s shape and also can be sprung down for storage. The original pattern calls for a loop of elastic to be attached to the side so that you can wrap it around the basket to keep it scrunched, but I’m not a fan of a random loop just hanging off the side when not being used, so I added a band of elastic to the bottom instead.

This project owes thanks to @TheMistressT, who recently posted the peek behind the curtains challenge. Thanks to that challenge, I posted a previous pop up basket that I made, which caused @Magpie to ask me questions about it, which resulted in me getting out my second pop up spring that I’ve had sitting around forever just waiting for me to make my own basket. That got me thinking, ‘Hello, the spring is right in front of you, why not just make one right now?’ But knowing that I will sometimes procrastinate on a project, I knew I needed to be held accountable, which is where @Cindy came in to play. Knowing that she was going to check with me on how things were coming along made me get my buns in gear. So, thank you all for your involvement in helping me complete this project. :smile:

15 Likes

This is adorable and pretty! I’ve been on a dark background floral prints kick lately and this is speaking to me big time.

It’s nice to see that @Cindy has been putting her talents to good use on others! lol

4 Likes

What a cute basket! And, I like that you changed up the dangling elastic issue!

@cindy is the nicest “enforcer”, isn’t she? We are lucky to have her kick our butts in gear in the kindest way!

oh–I just remembered that I have a sort of pop up thing that I have been wanting to make…it has no spring in it at all, so not sure how it works, but now is a good time for me to check it out!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

There’s that gorgeous fabric again! Very nice basket!

1 Like

I love it! Turned out great & now I hafta make at least 1. Great community vibe about this project too, that’s my favourite thing about this place!

3 Likes

This is such pretty fabric! A pop up basket is a great idea, and I like how you did the elastic.

1 Like

I didn’t even get to use my ‘talents’ because you finished before your deadline.

@AntBee - nope, so far you’re the only one I’ve actually had to use them on.

@AIMR I prefer ‘encourager’

4 Likes

That fabric! :heart:
And I love the solution you devised, for hiding the storage/flattening mechanism.

1 Like

lol yes…I agree…that sounds more like you…

I really love this basket but in my craft room, it would never be popped down…just wondering where I could use it…it would have to be something that would be used up and then the basket taken home…hmmm

3 Likes

They’d be great for the camper, a car trash can (with bag inside to keep any ick off the nice fabric!), for collecting things around the house to bring to where they go, as a travel storage/laundry bin…
Throwing trimmed off bits into mid-project to keep the surface clear

3 Likes

I agree that they would be handy…but not sure if it would ever get popped down…always full…lol

Oh wait…a scrap bin so it would force me to use up what is inside!!! IDEA!!!

1 Like

I am all about the basket movement on LC! And this one is so unique with the pop up feature. Way to make the pattern work better for you with the elastic on the bottom.

1 Like

One might find a use for it as a project basket- keeping the ongoing bits in there until completed and then folding it down and away until the next appropriately sized project needs a travel-from-room-to-room home.

2 Likes

This is so dang nifty! The fabrics are pretty and the collapsibility is so convenient!

1 Like

Love that fabric!

1 Like

I love the idea of this little basket, and yours came out great! I like your way of attaching the elastic better than the original.

I have the pattern in my cart (with a spring), but before I make my purchase I’m wondering about ordering more springs (I know several crafty people who would love one of these). Is the spring something that could be DIY’d?

1 Like

Is it one of the twist varieties? I thought I had a pattern for that, but can’t find it.

1 Like

yes–it is a YouTube video…it makes a small one but you can adjust the size…it twists to be flat

2 Likes

@AntBee, Have you checked out the fabric from Rifle Paper Co? They have a lot of nice florals in this style.

@AIMR, do it! Join the LC basket movement!
You could make one as a permanent basket and just always leave it up. There are a few different sizes, you can even make one laundry basket sized.

@craftADDchick, I just had a recent conversation with my husband about diy-ing the springs. He’s going to take a look the next time I order a spring to see if/how it can be done. He is handy and knowledgeable about such things, so if we get it figured out, I’ll let you know.

I showed the basket to my mom today and she commented that she really wants one, so it looks like I’ll be ordering another spring here shortly.

3 Likes