Postcards from Sweden from Ireland in the gloaming

C’est fini!! At last. I think I must have finished the flimsy at least a year ago. And today I finally sandwiched, quilted and bound it. Thanks @MistressJennie for the nudge.

It’s the postcards from Sweden quilt, the pattern freely available on line, it uses 35 different colours and there are no shortcuts. It requires a lot of organisation, despite that I’m sure I got a few in the wrong place, but it’s not really noticeable. This was 95% from stash, a blouse even got sacrificed for it.

It’s not a project for the fainthearted. But I absolutely completely love it. I’m keeping this and will be wrapped up in it every evening on the sofa.

I used just straight line quilting, it’s what I generally do, but honestly in this case I felt that it suited the pattern.

I also used quilt basting spray, despite having lengths of timber to baste as per @sloth003 suggestion. I don’t really like the spray because of chemicals, but it really does make it easier.

I was quite worried about this not laying flat, because instead of making normal HST you cut out the triangles and stitch them, which is a recipe for stretched seams… However it mostly came together perfectly. One or two mistakes, but you can’t really see them.

Flamingo family wanted to be in the photo shoot.

Stuck to the wall outside for basting.

Lots of spring green here (and an excuse for another photo)

32 Likes

It’s beautiful!! Congratulations on getting it finished! Your color choices are spot on. Every time I see this pattern, I love the look of it, but I never took the time to actually think about the pattern. I guess I just assumed it was made up of hst’s. What a ton of work! I love that you’ll be keeping this for yourself. It’s a well earned reward for putting it all together!

2 Likes

It looks amazing! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

That is stunning!!! Sewing diagonals is not for the faint of heart - you’re a pro!

2 Likes

My goodness, this is gorgeous! If there are mistakes, I can’t see them, just colour and more colour everywhere.

3 Likes

Absolutely STUNNING work my friend! It came out beautifully. You are amazing.

2 Likes

It’s so beautiful. I love the colors and the design so much. You did such a excellent job!

2 Likes

It’s stunning!

2 Likes

Simply stunning! I love the colors so much!

2 Likes

Wow! This is spectaculair! Love the colours, so cheerful. Awesome :metal:t2:

2 Likes

Wow! This is gorgeous. It looks like it would take a lot of organization to get all those squares in the right spots. Glad you were able to do it with such stunning results!

3 Likes

:star_struck:
INCREDIBLE!

2 Likes

Thank you my lovely people. I do love it, but I take zero credit for the design, I just followed the pattern-but in itself that was hard!!

3 Likes

Beautiful and it makes me happy just to look at it. Wow.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful quilt!

2 Likes

Wow, it’s spectacular!! Absolutely joyous to look at, I bet it’s delightful to snuggle under!

2 Likes

This. Is. STUNNING! The colors are glorious and the triangles making squares upon squares and and diamonds upon diamonds is mesmerizing.

2 Likes

Wow, my eyes are practically popping out of my head because it’s so vibrant! I would wear that if it were a dress.

2 Likes

So beautiful! I’m glad you’re keeping this one to enjoy yourself. You’ve certainly earned it! :grin:

2 Likes

Yay you!!! Beautiful quilt!! It’s jolly - will bring happiness whenever it is used!! Looks especially lovely draped over the green hedge!!

I’m very impressed by the suspension method you used to hold the quilt against the wall for the spray basting! :wink:

1 Like