Pumpkin Spice Tortellini

Both tortellini and gnocchi work well with this.

For a single serving:

1/3 c. Pumpkin puree
1+1/2 tsp. Sugar
Pinch of clove
Pinch of nutmeg
1+1/2 tsp. Ground pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. White whine
1/3 cup of the left over water from boiling the tortellini.

in a pan, saute a small chopped clove of garlic in one tablespoon of butter. (substitute butter with coconut or sunflower oil). Pour in the pumpkin, spices, and wine, continue cooking for a minute or two. pour in rest of ingredients and blend in tortellini or gnocchi. continue cooking til thickened.

Optional:

If using with gnocchi, fry the gnocchi first with the garlic til the gnocchi lightly browns. Then pour in rest of ingredients and cook til thickened.

I bet apple or pumpkin gnocchi would be good in this as well.

7 Likes

Just curious about the ground pumpkin seeds, do they add texture or do you add them for another reason?

They add an extra flavor. At least for me, heh.

once the food hits the mouth, I get a taste of the pumpkin sauce, then the garlic blends in, then the cheese/noodle/gnocchi flavor/texture comes into play, then the pumpkin seed flavor hits. However, I do think there is a trick to cooking them. They weren’t as strong this time around. Last night I had made a gnocchi batch, and partially fried the gnocchi first, then mixed in everything else and cooked it a tad longer than today. So tonight’s batch I’ll have to try that again.

2 Likes

Showing just how small of an amount of garlic I use for these. Funnily enough, I don’t want the garlic over powering, but just enough to give it that extra zing.

The picture doesn’t really help (bad camera, heh), but an attempt was made. I took this picture in hopes to show how cooked the gnocchi are when I add the garlic. I continue sauteing for about a minute longer, then I add in the pumpkin, spices, and seeds, plus two tablespoon water. I let it cook while I rushed to find where I put my wine, :no_mouth:. I tried to cook it a little longer, and added a small amount of water to keep it from burning.

Yep, the flavor profile is

1. Sauce
  2. Garlic
  3. Gnocchi
  4. Seeds

AAAAAAaaaaand, lo and behold, the texture is starting to get to me…:roll_eyes:. Guess that means I’ll have to stop making things like this for the next few days. Meh, I’ve eaten things like this way too much the past week or so…So maybe it’s time for a change, :rofl:.

Your cooking is so creative. What an incredible dish, especially since I know you made everything from scratch!

I second @abbeeroad - what a creative dish. Tis the season for pumpkin spice for sure!

1 Like

This sounds yummy! But I get it on the texture thing.