Put the Fun in Functional Stitch Along

We are crafty peeps who love to put our own spin on every day items. No boring stuff in our house! This stitch along is all about putting the fun in functional. Taking items we use all the time and sprucing them up a bit. This will be a quarterly stitch along. Every 3 months we will have a new item to stitch.

Jan-March:
Purses/Totes/Handbags
Inspired by book Bags in Blooms you will stitch anything you want on a purse, tote, handbag or backpack.

April-June:
Pillow/pillowcases (maybe)

July-Sept:
TBA

Oct-Dec:
TBA

9 Likes

Fab theme for Jan thru March!
I definitely have a couple of purses that I would love to pretty up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for creating this craftalong! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

I am so excited to see what people come up with. I know Target was selling totes that you could stitch on. I want to see if I can find them again.

3 Likes

Interesting new craftalong! I have the perfect project that I have been putting off for yearsā€¦2020 is the year to get it done!

1 Like

Iā€™m in!

1 Like

Yay, itā€™s finally time to put that book to use!

1 Like

I like this stitch along!

1 Like

Great idea, I will play along!

1 Like

I had already planned a clutch, so maybe!

1 Like

Did you guys see the little pouch @Abbeeroad did with boro stitching?

I want to try something like that!

I hope we do an apronā€¦I need a pretty but functional apron.

2 Likes

Iā€™m making a crazy quilt bag. Thank you for the inspiration to make one. :heart::heart:

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t sure if that one really counted as stitching for thisā€¦Iā€™m actually planning another embroidered pouch for my grandmaā€™s bday gift that I was totally going to post here, though!

3 Likes

I have always wanted an egg gathering apron!

3 Likes

So coolā€¦I made a few gardening aprons using old jeansā€¦they could stand the mock and were sturdy enough to hold garden tools, pots, etc.

Also, there are gathering aprons for holding veggies and flowersā€¦I just think an apron would be fun to embellishā€¦

1 Like

Second!

1 Like

I feel like I am still making my way back to the living after 2 weeks of illness, but was looking through fabric today to get started on this. I have been waffling between a light grey quilting weight cotton embroidered with blues, or linen backed with fusible interfacing, also embroidered with blues. I plan on using the design from the cover of the Bags in Bloom book - slightly modified for a smaller/taller/more hipster style bag. Quilting cotton is probably a little light weight for a handbag, but Iā€™m figuring by the time I am done embroidering and beading I am going to want to be extra careful of how the bag is handled anyway. But then again, Linen goes well with practically anything.

3 Likes

Third - I made an apron once, for my mom, but just sewn, not embellished at all.

2 Likes

Sounds great!!

1 Like

Looking forward to trying this