Question about food safe adhesive

If this is in the wrong place please feel free to slot it where it will get the most correct visibility. My second choice was paper craft :joy: those guys glue everything

Krazy Glue says its approved as a food safe adhesive. Are there any others, up to and including expoxy? Iā€™d love a run down of pros and cons and what you think is best, safest and most durable.

Thanks for any and all help and discussion!

2 Likes

There are food-safe silicone caulk/adhesives! For kitchen things above and beyond how caulk is used for sinks and backsplashes. Iā€™m afraid that I donā€™t have a brand for you, but our former handyman used one for a seam in our countertop.

1 Like

Is it to stick food together or will it just be near food?

ETAā€¦ NM I read too fastā€¦ Krazy glue is cyanoacrylate and is not food safe. Cyano ā†’ cyanide

1 Like

Are you fixing chips and breaks in dishware? @AIMR suggested this when I asked about chipped mugs in the mend-along.

Then there was this suggestion for a moldable glue.

2 Likes

Repairing a broken plate.

1 Like

Sugru isnā€™t food safe as far as I know, & itā€™s slightly flexible. But maybe theyā€™ve improved it over the years.
Kintsugi is amazeballs & you can get kits on amazon for around $30. Labour intensive though. How much do you love this plate?

Depends on which articles you rely on

Eco Glue is plant based and is considered child-friendly and food safeā€¦not sure how well it hold up, though, as I have only used it for lightweight thingsā€¦

1 Like

I have 0 investment in this plate. A friend asked if I had any recommendations (i think she broke a roomates Disney plate :rofl:)

I said Iā€™d ask the craft posse.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking for a reason to buy this:

It is food safe, however only up to 100 degrees C = boiling point of water. So no hot beverages, no microwave use, hand wash only.

2 Likes

I have some Japanese tea cups that have been repaired with kintsugiā€¦once the tea is seeped, it is not boiling any longerā€¦it would be hard to drink if it wereā€¦the tea cups are probably over 100 years oldā€¦and yeah, I have put them in the dishwasher as well.

1 Like

Personally I would repair it with epoxy and not use it for food any more. Iā€™m not convinced that any of them are really food safe, and I have a background in materials and polymers.

3 Likes

Anything with with gold bits on wonā€™t be microwave safe, and is recommended to hand wash, so youā€™re only really crossing off pouring in water straight from the kettleā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done chipped plate repair w/ whatever standard superglue I have in the household drawer; as long as you donā€™t smear it all over the plate itā€™s not really less food-safe than continuing to use things with cracks or crazed glaze on it, but the chips do sometimes pop off again in the dishwasher after a few years.

2 Likes

I worry more about chips and shards than I do about the glueā€¦

1 Like