Quick quilt using ten minute block technique

The ten minute block technique is all over YouTube, but I just discovered it. It is very fast! I timed the making of this top (approx 40*60) a nice lap quilt size. Including pressing the FQ, and cutting out, the top took just over two hours.

The top was made on the last day of 2023 and I sandwiched, quilted and bound it on the first day of 2024. It’s destined for a friend. I used fairly cheap FQ, and didn’t prewash, so I’m going to toss it in the wash tomorrow and see if I get a nice crinkled effect. The backing was thrifted fabric and so everything was from stash.

I like the cathedral window effect of this design, and it’s very easy to do, and it’s part of the ten minute block technique.

You can use different sizes to make the central square larger. I used 8" for the larger squares and 4.5" for the smaller, this was to maximize the amount of fabric I got from the FQs. This was made with 12FQ and additional fabric for the binding and backing.

Edit: @Trillian so I’ve washed it and it’s dry. I didn’t get much of a crinkled effect. It’s softer and feels nicer as all the starch is gone. And just a little crinkly-but that might be because I don’t own a dryer, it dried naturally.

29 Likes

Wow! Hard to believe you did that so fast! Really pretty quilt, too.

1 Like

It’s very sweet!

1 Like

Very cool! I will have to check this out. I need to do something for my grandma’s 90th at the end of the month and all my ideas would take me too long… :thinking:

2 Likes

This is really cute! I love the cheery, but not brash colorway; there’s something a little retro about it It reminds me a bit of this quilt that was made for me when I was born, even though not much in the way of it is the same.

1 Like

It is very retro, it’s not a colour way I would choose for myself. These FQ were super cheap. The colour will suit the friend it’s going to. And the house she be putting it in.

How amazing you still have your baby quilt!!

@Abbeeroad it’s a great technique because you don’t have to do much lining up of seams, it all kinda happens because of the technique. Let me know if you’ve any questions x

2 Likes

The finished piece looks beginner friendly… Is it? Never quilted a thing but I would really love to try.

1 Like

I love the colors, and that is such a cute pattern. It looks so cozy!

2 Likes

I still have mine too. Mom made it when she was pregnant, even though she didn’t know how to quilt. Ada has stolen it for her play yard, even though she has 12 other quilts and blankets scattered between there and the living room.

2 Likes

This quilt is so fresh and cheery. Reminds me of the 9 patch quilts my grandma made for each of the grandkids using feed sacks. Mine wore out and I lost it in a move back in my twenties.
What a great fast and happy quilt pattern.

1 Like

I think it is pretty beginner friendly, especially if you start with layer cake so you don’t have to do any cutting

1 Like

You’d think if it was quick it would look like it was done quickly, but this definitely does not. I’m sure it’ll be a treasured possession!!!

1 Like

Wellllll, I had it until earlier this year. It had been folded up in a chest for decades and I decided to pass it along to someone who would have a better place for it.

3 Likes

:snowflake: Congratulations! Your project is snow good, it’s featured this week! :snowflake:

2 Likes

Thanks! Its really pretty!

1 Like

I love those colors and fun patterns together. The curves in it look hard to do! It turned out great.

1 Like

Pretty! And so dang fast, wow! I may have to look into this 10-minute quilting thing.

1 Like

Thanks my lovely xx

I really like the colours on this quilt and the “diamond” shapes. That’s great that it was fast as well!

1 Like

Gorgeous! I especially love the bunny fabric. How’d the washing go?

1 Like