Quilt-along 2021

Improv it is! Whatever it means to you will be the prompt for May! Thanks @magpie!

2 Likes

Love the improv theme. I tried this not long ago for a mini quilt swap @PrincessP and I had planned. I ended up going on a totally different direction as I’m not sure how I feel about the result but I definitely want to play more with this concept. Safe to share the 1st attempt as the second is still secret (and not improv):

I never finished it and might still cut it up again. :thinking:

12 Likes

That is gorgeous Abbee. It would make a great cover for a journal of some sort.

We upgraded our camper this year from a pop-up tent trailer. It needs some personalizing too. The inspiration here is marvelous, mid-century modern is such a fun nostalgic look! I love those berries, excellent fabric pairing.

1 Like

I use a lot of the little scraps I have left over to make coasters and mug rugs. I love the look of a “planned, chaotic block”…it is my style! lol

Whenever you put a “frame” around anything like fabrics and paper, it does take it to a new level and ties it all together…I love your block!

1 Like

I like this idea!

I, tendstowardschaos, offer Berry Season Pillow Covers for May - Improv.

13 Likes

These came out beautifully!! The quilting adds an extra layer of cozy, homey-ness to them.

1 Like

Thanks!

So cute. I am stealing the idea of quilting the pillow cases. I need to make pillows for the porch and I love the look of the quilting. And I may just come over and “borrow” those adorable pillow covers!

3 Likes

I had not read this thread since February, on purpose, since I didn’t want to be tempted to quilt again! I went through a very stressful period at work and that doesn’t go together with complicated sewing or quilting (unless I want to rip out every seam 5 times before doing it right). But the next month is supposed to be calmer so I can hopefully catch up! I still need to finish the BOM’s for Feb, March and April as well as this month’s BOM. On top of that I want to finish a quilt for my friend made from old pairs of jeans. I’m supposed to be fully vaccinated the first week of July and I’m planning to meet up with her that same week.

2 Likes

@Immaculata, I hope you’re able to get caught up. Quilting sounds like a nice way to treat yourself after all that work stress!

I completed the quilt strip for the back of my quilt and got it all lined up and attached to the backing a few days ago. I just finished quilting the center of the quilt. I debated whether or not I wanted to use a variegated red/white/blue thread and am glad I opted to go for it. My lines are wonky and far from perfect, but I’m happy with them and I feel that the multi colored thread adds to the fun of the quilt.

Now I just need to do the math for my border quilting. Hopefully I’ll get it all figured out quickly so I can start embroidering some llamas onto the borders.

3 Likes

I am glad it’s only the middle of the month. My work area is buried under bits and pieces of our porch project. I may just have to move my sewing machine out there, it is so lovely.

I do have a wall to paint in the craft room and new molding to install when the wall is done. There’s a piece of baseboard behind the sewing machine that is missing and I’ll need to move a bunch of things to get that installed. But the trim is painted and ready to go. now just to paint a wall when I have enough lighting to see what I am doing. The same color as before, I just need to cover up the patches.

But look at the new space!

10 Likes

lol not sure I would get anything done with such a lovely space and view! Lots of reading and napping…

2 Likes

I’m itching to get to the BOM, especially since it’s the one I nominated! But I want to be a responsible Jennie and finish my blocks for the Quilt Block Swap first. Hope to finish that tomorrow.

3 Likes

Oh no, I totally forgot about May’s BOM. Have to squeeze it in before month end.

3 Likes

-I MistressJennie submit this as my May BOM entry.

I’m so glad I took the time this afternoon to do this block! I love how dramatic the 2 colors make the star.

13 Likes

Very dramatic and I love the contrast. Well done!

1 Like

Very nice! Will this be part of your scrappy quilt or is it for your Halloween quilt?

1 Like

Love it. The design really shines with the black contrast.

1 Like

It will be part of the scrappy quilt.

1 Like