Quilt-along 2021

@Lynx that’s a gorgeous block!

I’m reminding myself today why I don’t do much FPP. Half of this star done and I think I’ve ripped out at least 10 seams already. And I don’t like the look of the bottom right. Might have to do something with that.

7 Likes

Looks interesting! I have a hospital appointment on Monday and I was going to type “I’ll check the bookshop close to the hospital to see if they have it”… but then I realized it’s closed. Books are not essential. Unlike liquor, tobacco and even cannabis :frowning:

Working on the final version of the BOM and looks like it’s going to work this time!

Honestly, if I didn’t have a deadline and some really nice fabric for the BOM sampler, then I probably would have given up. So thanks for organizing this challenge, I gained some new quilting skills.

12 Likes

That is gorgeous. I love the positioning of the bird in the centre

I finished the star block (lone starburst by Anna Cohen) I love it, but I’d say I’ve ripped at least 14 seams making this. I won’t be making a full quilt of these! I’d have a quilt 1/4 pieced in the time it took to make this one.

12 Likes

It is beautiful and could just be a focal point with much easier blocks…I am with you…the amount of time spent if your goal is to get a finished quilt is not worth doing an entire quilt of these…it would also make a lovely cushion cover!

2 Likes

It’s beautiful Edel! I second Linda’s idea of a pillow cover. Or maybe a tote bag?

1 Like

I @Immaculata submit this as my January BOM entry

It’s already getting a bit dark in here, the background is grey not pink-ish. The other colours look fairly accurate.

I’m so pleased with it. I did not use my seam ripper once making this because I’d made so many practice blocks already. None of the points were beheaded! And I really love how the bird in the center worked out. The 1/4" foot from @AIMR, the youtube link from @Edel and my new massive cutting mat were all really helpful.

Edel, that block looks very fiddly but the result is absolutely worth it! I think it would look great as a centerpiece in a scrappy quilt.

12 Likes

@AudiobookLover That is quite a lovely way to display a panel. I really love that puffin panel, too. Quite striking. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing the pattern you found.

@Immaculata What I really like about the BOM idea is everyone follows the same block and they turn out so differently! Yours is definitely a case in point in that. Using the blue for the corner blocks make it look more like an “x” or “plus sign” to me than a star, but since I know it’s a star, I can see that, too. I love the fussy cut bird in the middle. This is just fantastic.

@Edel That star is really just so gorgeous. It makes me think of stained glass! I know piecing my mountain blocks is time consuming and my seam ripper was my friend for that, too, so I understand how grateful I was to just had simple larger blocks around, so the mountain block stands out.

How long did it take you to make?

1 Like

I had the same thought! I love seeing the same quilts and blocks done with different fabrics because they can come out so different from each other that it’s hard to believe they were made with the same exact pattern. @Immaculata, your block looks great!!

2 Likes

I did another scrappy FPP star, this was a lot easier and I got to use some of my leaders and enders.

I’m thinking of maybe making something like this, all different stars. https://pin.it/3FgxHnD

But I’m not sure, I think these quilts really work because of heavy quilting on the plain bits. And I don’t like FM quilting. Hmmm maybe I’ll make a few more stars and decide. I like @AIMR and @MistressJennie suggestions for cushion covers or a tote.

8 Likes

Can you clarify for me what you mean by leaders and enders?

Me too. I looked it up but I don’t think I understand.

@edel posted a leaders and enders link on her scrappy quilt post. It is a game changer!! It opened up a whole new world of possibilities where you can do two quilts at once!

Here’s the link (@Magpie). I’ll also add it to our helpful links up top.

2 Likes

Ya, I reviewed that but I don’t get what she is talking about.

Do you use the chain piecing method?

Basically, it is using pieces of scrap fabric to start and end your sewing so you don’t end up with thread nests when you start to sew the small pieces of your quilt together…since you are using them anyway, instead of tossing them, with a little bit of planning, you can sew together certain sizes or shapes and then use them later to make a scrappy quilt!

I think it depends on your sewing style and machine as well…I rarely get thread nests when I start or end my sewing…I am just not that organized to use my scraps in this way…

1 Like

Wow, @Edel, that star turned out gorgeous! It does sound like a ton of work though!

@Immaculata, I ADORE your fabric choices!! Seriously, SO perfect!!

I asked some questions about project storage the other day. Well, I was sorting things in my craft room today, in search of some white fabric I was sure I had (and I found some! now I need to wait until daylight to be sure it’s the same fabric) and I decided to organize things in a slightly different way, and then I was left with an empty storage bin! The type of bin for an Ikea Expedit cupboard.

Then I noticed that the block I made for the BOM is the size of a record. And Mr Imma happens to be a vinyl collector and there are almost always record shipping boxes in our recycling bin. I found one and it fits perfectly:

The BOM fabrics are in the zipper pouch and piled on top of this is the Farmer’s Wife project in its pillowcase. It looks very organized now!

6 Likes

I guess I am getting it, it’s just a piece of throw away fabric used to start and end chain piecing so there isn’t a snarl at either end. Then it’s cut off and instead of throwing out, used as a scrap. There won’t be a snarl because you aren’t back stitching or even starting/ending at the end, but in the middle of the piece, yes?
So, to use them later, you don’t pick out those scanty stitches, right? Because that would take forever, ugh. I assume you are taking a bit of care to sew at a reasonable SA rather than just starting anyoldwhere like you would on a bit you meant to throw out afterwards.
I can see the appeal. I personally have far too many rescued scraps as it is so maybe I will just use them up for this technique and not worry about saving them.

My head explodes when I try to do this with any regularity…I just do different type of scrap projects…lol

Exactly that. The pieces I cut were 1.5"sq, so when pieced they should finish at 1" but if course mine aren’t that regular. You iron theme and use them like any other pieced pieces.

It’s a small enough piece so it just finishes off one seam to allow you to cut off the piece you’re working on. Less thread waste and no pieces being eaten by the machine when you’re starting a seam. I often leave them, almost sewn in the machine when I finish a session, so it’s ready to go next time.

But I think a 2.5" square would be better. Only because even cutting the 1.5" is fiddly. And while sewn together, I don’t find the resulting pieces very usable. But the 1" finished size would work with any quilt block, so there is that.