Quilt-along 2021

I’ve been wondering what this looked like ever since you mentioned it earlier. I’m so curious about the story behind this, especially with you saying it’s not at all like your dad to have something like this!

3 Likes

It is definitely handmade…you can tell by the stitching…nicely spaced but not connected like a machine sewn item…and the colors and weave is very course cotton…almost like a chambray…

What an interesting find…maybe he kept it because someone special to him never got to finish it…his mom or grandma?

It is plain, but I bet with backing, batting, and binding, it would be a fine quilt. Check all the seams to make sure they have held…you can hand sew them back or machine sew them…it will be your family mystery quilt!

5 Likes

My Grandma took in laundry & mending for rich Chicago folks during the Depression and did dressmaking for locals, so it could be something she started. She passed before I was born and my dad did not have an easy childhood so never wanted to share much info. I know so little! I am thinking probably not earlier than her, as there was no real family to pass things along to her. Dad’s side is sparse & tragic, alas. No one left for me to ask at all, anywhere. (Mom’s side is overflowing with family!)

I will pursue finishing it, and keep you all updated. Maybe I should hand quilt it too!

4 Likes

Here’s a visual representation of the 6 BOM blocks we have so far. I made it to help me plan ahead a little bit with my colors and figure it might help someone here as well.

6 Likes

Yes it is and I’m going to start mine today.

@AudiobookLover I’m rather glad shipping from the US to here is so expensive, I love the idea of subscription boxes, so much. There are no craft subscription boxes in Ireland, a few in the UK (but now that they’ve left the European Union, anything I order from there will attract extra taxes, so that’s out) possibly just as well I don’t speak German or Dutch, so I can’t find any in other parts of Europe. If things were different I’d have All the boxes.

3 Likes

I have never heard of One Block Wonders! I had to look them up, and found a blog describing them! They look AMAZING! I love the kaleidoscope affect.

5 Likes

They’re kinda psychedelic. I’m quite liking how the first pieces look when laid out.

13 Likes

I love they all look like fruit!

2 Likes

I’ll call it my fruit salad quilt when it’s done :joy:

6 Likes

I accept this, Edel!

Also, I am considering trying to tackle the modern tree quilt you shared before (the 12 trees quilt). I’ve had it bookmarked for awhile. I don’t think I have enough fabric, but…we’ll see.

2 Likes

It hasn’t always been way more expensive to ship to Canada nor has it always been more expensive for me to buy from the US.

I’ve been swapping online for 25 years and sending to/from the US was equal to sending within your own country. Buying from the US used to be cheaper, even with shipping, because your quilting fabric is significantly cheaper.

3 Likes

It’s actually an easy quilt and very forgiving. I used a load of different fabrics and then figured out the placement once I’d made the blocks

5 Likes

So as long as the colors are sort of tied you can mix fabrics?

I am not sure two yards of my ugly fabric is going to make many blocks!

Depends on the width. My repeat was about 24 inches and there were two repeats across the width (mine is 60" fabric) of the fabric. So I don’t think I used more than 2 yards so far. The amount laid out is only two (3?) strips of 4.5" I have another four strips to cut into triangles. I’d say you definitely have enough for at least a lap quilt.

Have you a picture of your ugly fabric?

2 Likes

I will get it out after coffee and start figuring it out…I will post a picture of it…I bought it ages ago to go with the book…I found the book, at least…lol and I even bought a special mirrored tool to be able to see how the block would look before it is cut…I found that as well, but not sure how useful I will find it…I rather prefer surprises!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I can visualize much better what you were talking about now.

2 Likes

That looks so neat so far! How hard was it to align the layers? That seems like the trickiest part.

That was the hardest and I didn’t do it 100% correctly, but tbh, the quilt is so busy a bit of misalignment probably won’t be noticed (I’m of the view that done but imperfect is better than not done)

But once it’s lined up, the cutting is fairly fast because you’re not switching fabrics. As is the stitching, there’s a good YouTube video to organise them for chain piecing. The other bottleneck is that the seams need to be pressed open because there are six seams meeting at the centre.

4 Likes

yikes!

1 Like

I am definitely looking forward to trying this. I might have to bring my fabric into school one day so I can use the big tables in the teachers’ room to do my cutting. I think I bought 2 pieces of fabric to play with. One is animals in the jungle, and the other is a floral/paisley pattern, I think.

2 Likes