Quilt-along 2021

It’s also super easy. Basically making 4 small Log Cabin blocks and putting them together. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I was about to ask the same thing!

1 Like

I worked on borders today and hope to finish tomorrow, then I’ll post a progress photo.

I’m waffling about the BOM because I don’t want another quilt made from random blocks so not sure what I’d do with them at years end.

2 Likes

I’ve been a bit bogged down with school, but here’s the bulk of the fabric I’m planning to use for the BOM blocks. But, I need some input…

What color(s) should I use for my solids?

5 Likes

I Whistlefish offer A Mini Mug Rug for January’s Something New Prompt .

Since I was annoyed at my ineptitude making the BOM earlier I decided I’d do a bit of practice this evening. I made two different blocks (no pattern) and they ended up being the same size so I put them together and made a little mug rug!

Things I worked on: making sure my seam allowances were on point, ensuring I press my seams the right way, changing my rotary cutter blade because it was dull (inspired by @PrincessP! Lol)

Things I need to practice on: stitching in the ditch, binding in general, how to end the friggin binding properly.

Any and all advice is welcome!

10 Likes

:rofl: I still haven’t changed mine! :see_no_evil:

Very cute wizardy fabric too :star_struck:

This is a helpful binding tutorial

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll give that a watch!

2 Likes

I always used @MareMare’s binding tutorial on the dead site but it’s gone now. For mug rugs I often just fold over the backing fabric to the front.

1 Like

My suggestions are the blue I circled and green I checked.

3 Likes

How great, Alex! Would you like me to add this as your January prompt ticket—making something new for you? I think binding just takes practice. I have been getting better at it myself.

Just a reminder everyone–we have lots of opportunities to earn tickets beyond the fun BOM. We have monthly prompts and quarterly challenges! Check the first post!

2 Likes

Happy :cake: day @Abbeeroad!

2 Likes

Totally forgot about that! Yes, that’d be great. I edited my post to reflect my submission. :blush:

2 Likes

I did a practice run on the sawtooth block to refresh my memory…glad I did…I made the star points backwards! lol…

I am turning this into a mug rug, so here it is, with the mistakes and all…but, usable and onward to cutting my larger BOM!

8 Likes

I love the colors on this!

Thanks, but it is @PrincessP’s fault…I cut out Christmas fabrics from my stash and before I put them away, I am determined to use some of them up!

I used some of the scraps as well to make these coasters…
20210119_080039

14 Likes

Those are so cute!

I think this is the binding tut that made it make.sense for me. I love a good “aha” moment.

1 Like

It kept asking for something added to that big yellow square. So I gave in.

17 Likes

This tutorial?

2 Likes

This is exactly the same one as the Missouri Quilt one but where she says to sew the binding on the back and stitch it to the front using the sewing machine…yes, I think this is the one…thanks for finding it…I know I have also used this one over and over…I do enjoy hand sewing when I have time, but for charity quilts and quilts for kids, machine sewing is for me!

1 Like