Quilt-along 2021

I marionberries offer flannel quilt top for January’s new for me item. This quick block top was a new technique.

1. Take a layer cake and cut the 10" into 3.5" and 6.5 inch strips.
  2. Move the top pice on one to the bottom, or turn one of the piles over. Mix and match strips, if one matchup doesn’t work, just sift through and try another. Sew them all together.
  3. Now cut the 9.5" x 10" blocks in half and mix and match them up again into 9.5 x 9.5 blocks. Sew them all together.
  4. Then lay them out in any way you want and assemble them.
    It was so easy and really helped me be fairly random in the color spread.

10 Likes

Nice technique to do a random mix…I tend to overthink this process…I like the colors and the fact that it is a nice warm flannel…

One of our wonderful quiltalong friends suggested some great ideas to me to clear up the first post and I took those suggestions and made some changes. :heart:

5 Likes

I, Homerof2, submit this as my January BOM entry.

I have lots of Christmas fabric left and it’s the most easily accessible, so I’m going to use it for my BOMs.

12 Likes

I, Homerof2, offer my Christmas quilt for January’s prompt

For my own mental health, I’m not going to finish this until we move into our new home in the fall. It was challenging enough to make the top in our tiny space, I can’t imagine trying to quilt it here, especially with the amount of quilting I plan to do on it.

11 Likes

I was able to get that exact shade of blue in Kona cotton, but the green didn’t quite match. I have another 50% off coupon that starts tomorrow, so I’ll think on the green and go back again. There’s a lighter shade that might work. If not, I’ll get the not quite a match green.

3 Likes

When they are put together, it won’t be that obvious…I have about four shades of blue I plan on using…it will be lovely!

@Cindy I think you are a wonder to be doing any kind of sewing in your tiny space! The top turned out fabulous and absolutely love the mixed border…your BOM is also very nice…the mix of fabrics is what I love about quilting!

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re right! I just have to step outside of my comfort zone nd not be so matchy-matchy!

2 Likes

@Cindy I absolutely love that top-all the white space-swoon

1 Like

@Cindy, I can’t wait to see your top once it’s all quilted! I’m looking forward to seeing your Christmassy blocks each month!

@craftADDchick, I think navy blue would work well with your fabrics as well as the yellow from the diamond fabric.

3 Likes

I almost added to the white section but decided to stay true to the pattern.

1 Like

I was thinking I might pull in some yellow, but I hadn’t considered navy! I’ll see what they have in stock tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

I did grumpy sewing today. You know those days when the world is just a bit off -or ya know given Covid, a lot off.

I needed to do something so more stash busting which requires little thought, while having Stephen Fry read me Harry potter, was a good solution. I’m marginally less cranky for having some something productive.

It was the turn of the red scraps today

11 Likes

It went great! Fast and easy. You just have to trim the blocks slightly after pressing, as stitch up about 1/8" too big. But that’s always best with HST’s anyways.

Your red blocks look great!

1 Like

Good to know, I’ll give it a try, was there a particular tutorial you used?

1 Like

I had seen a tutorial for it somewhere, but don’t remember where. But I was just following the directions for the Double Quartet Block, which showed how to do it in the course of making the 12" block.

1 Like

Hi all! Another question!

Where’s a good place to get cheap quilt batting online? I’m not making a big, “real” quilt yet, so I don’t want to spend a ton. In the past, I’ve always used super cheap Daiso batting for TM patches, mug rugs, and mini-quilt-like things, just chopping off little hunks of the stuff as needed. But now that I’m not going inside brick-and-mortar stores, it’s hard to see what’s in all those identical-looking white bags of fluff, and I don’t want to spend a ton on some heavy-duty stuff I don’t need. Any brands, types, keywords I should be searching for?

Thanks!

I have purchased this and do like it a lot…it is not heirloom stuff…it is queen size, which means I can get two pretty good size lap quilts with stuff left over for smaller projects …

this is Missouri Star’s brand of the same thing…a bit cheaper but still nice

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

I forgot to mention - one of the things I want to make soon is some pot holders, so I’m guessing that my usual polyfil-like batting wouldn’t be great for that! Is cotton OK to take the heat?

100% cotton in a couple layers should work. Otherwise I would recommend insul bright. It’s made for potholders. Just don’t use it for any sort of bowl cozy as it can start a fire.

5 Likes