Quilt-along 2021

Seconded for insul bright. But definitely NO MICROWAVING. :smiley:

4 Likes

Just a question, how do you keep your quilting projects together? For embroidery I use small zipper pouches but those arenā€™t big enough for a quilting project.

Iā€™m asking because due to the pandemic Mr. Imma has figured out my storage method and he has asked me to come up with a bette idea. Right now I make a pile, place it on a chair, push it back under the table - I sew in a corner of our large dining room table and I use a chair thatā€™s only ever used by guests.

Iā€™ve been thinking of boxes but then Iā€™ll have to store the boxes even when theyā€™re empty. Maybe tote bag sized zipper pouches?

Everytime I see the opening image you posted @Lynx, I think itā€™s my lap quilt I made about 6 years ago when I moved my work home. I needed a lap quilt to ward off the winter chill during the day.

I love this Carpenter Star pattern and want to do it again with colors to match my living room, which is gray, a bit of olive green, navy, and shades of tan for the most part. Very calming. I had gathered a box of possible colors and then put it aside for about a year. and there were all my navy and gray fabrics! Yay. Because I want to make the BOM in navy, aquaish, and yellow, and I couldnā€™t find much navy in my stash.

These are big blocks, there are only 4 16 x 16 blocks making up the design in the center.

12 Likes

Beautiful!

That is very beautiful and I can see how much they look alike, too!

2 Likes

I use the empty cardboard trays that come with our cat food for project trays. But yes, you still have to store the empties though with them being rather shallow, they store fairly well. But for a large quilt they might not be enough. Right now I have one for kids fabrics for masks, adult fabric for masks, 3 of them for an upcoming quilt project sorted by posible color choices, one for BOM blocks and fabrics, one forā€¦it goes on. They are great for keeping everything together for smaller paper, bead, or assemblage type projects too. But sometimes I lag on clearing them out and I have a stack of UFOā€™s or left over bits sitting there.

Large zip lock bags would work or smaller garbage bags, they make them in various sizes, but that would mean buying more plastic. I like something clear to store bigger projects in so hoard clear packaging bags. If I donā€™t see it, I forget about it.

1 Like

Gorgeous!!!

We donā€™t have a cat but I think I know what kind of trays you mean, thatā€™s a great solution and free and environmentally friendly as well.

Iā€™m afraid of using anything resembling a garbage bag, Iā€™d be afraid that someone would throw them out! But I just had a great idea. I have a whole pile of tote bag sized pouches available - pillowcases! They donā€™t have zippers but if this works then I can always sew a few new ones with zippers.

4 Likes

I use trays as well to keep projects together. When they are empty, they simply stack. Being open, I have to see them and it makes me aware of the project. I only have five trays so sometimes two smaller projects go into one. I also use small trays to keep my needlework stuff togetherā€¦being small, I can carry it to any room I am in or even to the car.

Oh, great idea to use old pillowcases to store longer term projectsā€¦I have a lot of quilt tops that need to be quilted but the long arm place is backed upā€¦they will fit nicely into pillow cases! Thanks!

1 Like

These are a bit more bulky and shapeless than Iā€™d like them to be. I think I may need boxes after all. I want ironed fabrics to stay wrinkle-free. It needs to have a lid or something to keep the dust out. We donā€™t even have pets but our house is old and thereā€™s always dust everywhere, regardless of how often I clean.

1 Like

I use Hefty jumbo storage zip baggies. Theyā€™re 2.5 gallons(which makes them pretty big) and they work really well for keeping all my fabric together. I also like that theyā€™re clear, so I can easily see whatā€™s in each one and they donā€™t cost very much.
Iā€™ve also used a plastic zip up bag that new bedding comes in.
The jumbo baggies are my favorite, but the bedding bags are handy for anything with a lot of bulk.

ETA - things stay wrinkle free other than the fold lines.

2 Likes

Maybe I should just finish a few things so I donā€™t have so many projects lying around :thinking:

6 Likes

Whatā€™s the fun in that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I use and reuse 2.5 gallon ziplock bags for all kinds of storage. The are huge, so they would fit large pieces. I love that I can see through them. I even use them for vacation. I pack an outfit in each bag for my kids. They make the suitcase far more orderly.

3 Likes

I am also a fan of the big zip lock bags but I am trying to reduce my plastic purchasesā€¦so I need to get stuff done and re-use what I haveā€¦

2 Likes

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes all the same

Thereā€™s a pink one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And theyā€™re all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

8 Likes

Greetings Everyone,
Think I will hop onboard. Loved doing the quilt swaps on the other site and once I have my sewing room back in order which one of my goals by the end of the month, my youngest daughter and her family recently moved back out after coming home for a year. I have three quilts I want to finish and two I want to start.

Feel like I am late to the party and behind, but here none the less.

Some of my favorite tools are my rotate cutters, small and large ones, chalk pen cutting table and rulers. I also like my blade style seam ripper. being 50 years old I like my threader too

9 Likes

We have missed you!!! Just start in Februaryā€¦this is an easy going craftalongā€¦I think it will help me get my WIPS done while trying new thingsā€¦glad you are hereā€¦you always were one of my favorites at the dead place!

3 Likes

Heyā€“just checking up on the mail situationā€¦did anyone else receive their purple thang? I know International mail will take longer, but I would have thought US mail would be a bit caught up! Just let me know with a quick PM, pleaseā€¦I might hold off shipping things if mail is still a mess!

1 Like

I use large vacuum seal bags that I got from the dollar store. I like them better than ziploc because you can squeeze the air out so they take up less room.

2 Likes

I use a tower of 12x12 boxes that was actually made for scrapbook paper. Each project goes in a box, and the box slides in to the tower. Itā€™s also on wheels, so I can move it wherever I need to.
I almost donated it because I dont scrapbook anymore, and then I had a total ā€œah hahā€ moment before doing so.

6 Likes