Quilt-along 2021

I love your fabric choices! This is a really pretty block, especially with the dark background. I’m glad it was picked up for the BOM!

@Lynx, I live that your blocks are different sizes and am
Looking forward to seeing your final layout!

1 Like

Ugh. I always hate pinning quilt sandwiches. This one is going easier than most, even with Astrid trying to ‘help’.

8 Likes

That’s my least favourite part as well, especially for larger quilts. Does anyone have tips and tricks that they’re willing to share?

1 Like

Mine too, I have no table large enough to lay the quilt out, and I do baby or lap quilt sizes. So it’s on the floor for me. And crawling around the floor pinning is hard on the old body these days. Even harder is getting up again! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

I get my daughter to help. I don’t know of any speedy way to do it

2 Likes

ugh–I think that must be the way all quilters do it because there really is no other way unless you have a space so large as to hold a very large table…that is why I send mine out most of the time…I just can’t get comfortable on my old knees crawling on the floor!

@MistressJennie that’s a fabulous block and I live Astrid in that picture, she looks like she’s sulking because you’re not paying attention to her

1 Like

Pinning is over and now for the free-motion quilting!

9 Likes

Oh, she most certainly IS sulking because I’m not paying attention to her.

2 Likes

I really like the decorative stitching for the quilting. I’ll have to give that a try on something soon.

1 Like

I don’t have a lot of open space in my living room so I end up jumping over the quilt while pinning! In our previous home I could walk around all sides of our bed, so I would take off all sheets and lay the quilt out on the mattress, but I had to be really careful not to pin the quilt to the bed.

My hexie quilt is at the LQS right now but she’s expensive and she has a long waiting list. She’s really good but I don’t want to do that for every quilt.

I’m done cutting! This is the result:

5", 4.5", 4", 3.5", 3", 2", 1,5" and 1" squares. Hardly any fabric was wasted!

Also came across a small panel that I don’t know what to do with. Got it as a freebie with a purchase years ago. It’s fairly small, I think around 10" , but it’s a bit traditional for me.

These panels were somewhere in the stash too, they will be used for baby quilts for charity:

8 Likes

Everything looks so neat and organized! job well done!

Those panels will give you a nice head start on those quilts…they are so cute!

@Immaculata, those are really cute children’s panels, I can see fun baby quilts ahead. And the more traditional flower one could be donated to a retirement home, they often take lap quilts and knitted caps.

Nice cutting. It’s always a relief to get those darned little squares cut.

1 Like

@AudiobookLover I love the idea of the little leaf stitch in the ditch! It looks so good!

As for me… I’m waiting on some foam to make a little bucket/basket thing but I pieced and quilted the outside of it today! The fabric is cut from a leftover charm pack from forever ago. It was recently in my donate pile since I was probably never going to quilt a thing again. :joy: I thought it’d be good practice for this pattern though.

7 Likes

Noooooooo! I ran out of black thread with a patch about 4" x 10" left to quilt! I mean, I hadn’t done anything inside the circles, and I was planning to, so I still would have needed more thread, but that doesn’t bother me as much as not finishing that last little bit of border area. And the local quilt store just around the corner from my house closed at 4:00.

Oh, and as I was taking out the last safety pin before I stopped sewing, the pin snapped back, and hit my cuticle/edge of my fingernail. It won’t stop bleeding. I think the Quilt Gods might be telling me that I’m done for the day.

7 Likes

There is nothing quite so frustrating as losing a game of thread or yarn chicken.

4 Likes

Yep–walk away…!

@Whistlefish - another cool project! Such pretty fabrics…made from charms? I have stacks of those…and I need more baskets…you are on a roll!!!

2 Likes

I have a mountain quilt system! Now, to remember my system notes next time I work on it!

12 Likes

My flamingo is pieced, tomorrow I’ll add borders and maybe even get the sandwich pinned.

6 Likes