Quilt-along 2021

Picking fabrics for Feb’s BOM!

2 Likes

While going through my stash this week, I found back 40 blocks from cutoffs from the Dinoroar kids quilt and also some matching panels + enough leftovers from all the fabrics. So after the BOM and my denim quilt, that will be my next project.

I found a few more baby quilt panels. They came from someone else and they’ve been in my stash for years. I’m pretty sure the fabrics are curtain samples, but they’re 100% cotton and the same weight as quilting cotton so I’ll just use them as panels. I don’t love them but I know lots of people will, and I’ve found a local charity that requests quilts for babies born in poverty. So that’s where they’ll go when they’re done.

I haven’t done this much quilting in years but this thread has really inspired me!

4 Likes

That’s what we are here for and I am so glad to have you say that!

4 Likes

12" All Hallows Block to add to my stack of black & jewel toned BOMs.

14 Likes

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Would anyone who has not yet nominated a block like to nominate this one? (FYI, you don’t have to actually make the block if you nominate it…but definite kudos and raffle points if you do!)

2 Likes

The method was fine, but I think I liked the “Easy 8” method better, one big square that you sew diagonally across in both directions, like I did for the Double Quartet Block above. With the zig zagging in this method I just tested, youhave to sew off the edge, then come back up on the edge in a diagonal, which does leave you tugging your threads to avoid the corners being eaten (which is not normally a problem on my machine, but it didn’t like these strips much).

Bonus: This block has no Flying Geese. LOL

4 Likes

I love this block! This is gorgeous.

3 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: and in case you missed it :heart:

Sorry, not sorry, geese. (I really wanted a goose emoji.)

2 Likes

Beautiful colors and a great addition!

1 Like

I would love to give it a try! I’ll nominate it!

Beautiful results, Jennie!

4 Likes

Woohoo!!! Yay! The All Hallows block has been nominated for October–my birthday month, to boot! :slight_smile: Thanks Abbee.

5 Likes

Oh! A perfectly named block for Oct!

2 Likes

I, Lynx nominate this for my Feb BOM!

The strawberry fabric was left over from a strawberry instagram swap as was the pink.

The blue was used as a liner for a bag for our principal who retired last year.

My 2 blocks together. Different sizes, so they sashing wil occur.

Fun fact: Even though I had the first block out, I was surprised that I used the pink fabric in both. Haha.

10 Likes

This is a speedy and motivated group…maybe we should do two blocks a month! I am making blocks for the other months so then do we need to do two to submit them? ha ha I know I can’t wait that long to show them off…I am going to do the October block in February…

How am I going to know if you work ahead if you don’t show them early? So, if you work early, but can keep a secret, then I guess you found a loophole…? But, since we are all working one a month, you can’t submit for tickets unless it is the month we are currently in.

2 Likes

Oooh, I love the strawberry heart block! The deep blue is such a good foil for the strawberries and the pink. It really makes the heart pop, and the pink corners sing.

1 Like

Just saying that we all are so motivated that we will probably have enough blocks for a quilt by June at this rate…ha ha…

love the happy accident of using the same pink in each block! The strawberry heart is really sweet!

2 Likes

This is soooooooo pretty! I second L2L that it’d be a beautiful BOM :slight_smile:

1 Like

My current project - drawer liners (though a few of you did cause me to reconsider :laughing:). I used this project to try out my stitch in the ditch foot

and found that the guide in the middle tended to get pushed to the side causing my stitches to jump the ditch. I switched to my regular foot and was able to get much better lines. I’m glad I opted for the decorative leaf stitches, I love the way they look! I just need to cut this down for two drawers, bind them and it’ll be ready to go. That will probably have to wait until next week though, so until then I will leave this out and smile every time I see it :blush:.

7 Likes