Quilt-along 2021

Is the top mountain block the ‘incorrect’ one? I like how the mountain on the very right is all one shade of green. It makes it stand out in a good way!

1 Like

Actually, the top one is the correct one. If you look at the bottom most mountain, you’ll see a lighter shade of green at an angle, but the tip of it is a darker shade. But, once there are many more mountains, it won’t matter so much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Decided to make a few more economy blocks…

20210204_224844

10 Likes

This colour palette is one of my absolute faves. Love it!

1 Like

Everyone has been making such pretty things while I was sleeping. Love the mountains @Lynx and @Whistlefish your fabrics are so pretty!
@MistressJennie that’s always so frustrating! But I can’t wait to see the result. FMQ on such a large quilt on a small machine is hard!

1 Like

Ooh that mountain quilt is going to be awesome

@Cindy I can’t wait to see that flamingo block

@AIMR I love your colour choices for those blocks. I cut out a load more economy block pieces. they are such fun to do. I am planning some for this weekend.

2 Likes

Goodness you all have been busy…
Am off finally!!!
Have three days woohoo. I did get my sewing room in order last month so I can do some sewing yippy! Both of my crafting spaces are back in order so happy happy dance time
I shall do what I always do housework and get things back on track today from working too many days and 12 to 16hr shifts in a row. Then try and get some ME time tonight. Set up my cutting table and iron board, pick some fabric, download Feb block and sewwwwwww lol.
I need to pull down my rainbow ribbon quilt project box and see where i was on that one and make it a point to be the next one to finish… added to list lol
Anyone else got that ever growing list?

7 Likes

I seem to be falling down quilting rabbit holes every morning while drinking my tea. Since my research proved so fruitful today, I thought you guys might like some of the info I found.

Here’s a helpful tutorial for making Half Square Triangles with the Easy 8 Method, that Edel was asking me about. You cut just two squares of fabric, and you end up with 8 HST’s. It also includes a formula, so you can calculate what size to cut for any finished sized block.

Meanwhile I was looking at some of our upcoming BOM’s, including the Card Trick. I’ve never made Quarter Square Triangles, and so I looked for tips on doing that. Here’s a tutorial on making that easier and less intimidating.

And finally, while exploring info on the Card Trick Block, I found an alternate version for it, that doesn’t include any Quarter Square Triangles, in case those are intimidating to beginner quilters.

And a video tutorial of the same easier Card Trick block design.

6 Likes

I used the Missouri Quilt tutorial when I made those…so simple…just little squares and rectangles…

1 Like

Thanks, Jennie! The fussiness of exact piecing is what has kept me away from most quilt patterns, so I appreciate all of the help I can get!

3 Likes

I decided that since I’m stuck on finishing the quilting of my top, while I wait for black thread to arrive today (I ordered 3 mega spools from Amazon to keep me going for a while, or you know, a week), that I would do another random block. I picked Annie’s Choice, and since it calls for a total of 16 HST’s, I decided to do 2 sets of the Easy 8 method, with two scrap fabrics. I got them all cut, the diagonals drawn, and the squares pinned together. Then remembered that the machine is set up for free motion quilting, which includes taking off not only my regular foot, but also the ‘ankle’ that holds the foot to the machine. It’s a minor pain to take it apart and set it back up for regular stitching, only to reset it for free motion when the thread arrives later today. So I guess I’ll take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood to stalk the Amazon delivery van. LOL :joy:

I would try switching over to crochet for the morning, to work on my mega afghan, but where I cut my finger last night, is RIGHT where the yarn runs over my index finger. I somehow think using a wool & alpaca blend yarn running over a cut is a bad idea.

2 Likes

Ooof, I wouldn’t recommend that!

Between you and @edel, maybe a day??

Enjoy your walk!

3 Likes

@MistressJennie, I feel your pain.

And my pain for the moment. I am making this quilt top and had figured out and cut all the squares needed. Then didn’t follow my own pattern and made too many of one kind of HST. I was starting to trim them down when I realized my mistake, so I have to rip a number of triangles apart, rescue them, and joint them up with their proper partners. Almost had a scandal happen, but I broke the party up in time. I am using color families (similar colors in different prints) so it’s even more confusing. No wine while I piece this one! Oh, and I think I cut too may squares, Pillow Top!

And I need a new seam ripper, this 20-year-old one is dull. Now, where is the newer one?

9 Likes

Wow, this is a really beautiful design!

I poetrylover828 offer heart mug rug for February’s prompt. I used Edel’s pattern again. I once again did a flying goose on the bottom rather than half square triangles. I still have issues with sewing bindings and this was kinda small so doing the binding was a little tricky. Which is why it ended up a little bit and I have tucks. But it’s pretty cute and I’m happy with it.

9 Likes

That is a great use of the block of the month. All your fabrics look so good together!

2 Likes

Thank you! I can end up with some funky color combos because I have a pretty loose definition of what goes together.

3 Likes

I was about to lament that I haven’t had time to do any quilting yet this month… and then realized it’s only the FIFTH!! You all are SO SPEEDY! I definitely want to make at least one block this month, but I’ve got time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

@poetrylover828 that is a lovely interpretation of the heart block.

@MistressJennie those tutorials look really good.

2 Likes

I made one for a V-day craft project but I cheated a bit.

9 Likes