Quilt As You Go Bags

I made both of these bags in 2021 using June Tailor prepinted batting for the first one and if I recall correctly, I copied the pattern onto my own batting for the second one. I like the roominess of the totes, but I’m not a fan of my fabric choices.

I love the fabric with the spools, but I don’t like the vertical fabric strips and I don’t feel like they go well with the spools. My mom and I shared the strip roll and I talked myself into believing the fabric would grow on me, but I should’ve known better. I didn’t like the strips then and unsurprisingly, my taste never wavered. I do however really like the inside of the bag. I used a Kona cotton swatch fabric. Despite not liking the bag, I do occasionally use it since I haven’t finished it’s replacement yet. When I do though, this ugly bag is outta here (though I imagine it making it’s way to a thrift store and people asking themselves, what was she thinking? :laughing:)

I started this second bag for a swap that I ended up not participating in. I had all the fabrics on hand and while the solid fabrics worked colorwise, I feel like the solidness of them didn’t work well with the bag. I think if I had used batiks in the same colors, it would’ve looked much better. I used my embroidery machine to add a heart to the interior as a fun little surprise. I took this bag with me when I visited my parents over the summer. My mom absolutely loved it, so I happily left it behind when I headed home. She was super excited when she found it and it’s nice to know that it will be appreciated :blush:.

20 Likes

They’re great bags! You may not be thrilled with the fabrics, but they look big and sturdy and useful. The prints are fun and cheerful.

2 Likes

I don’t hate the exterior fabrics, but agree that the lining fabric is spectacular! Is there any way you could reverse it so that the lining becomes the exterior? Thinking you might like it better that way.

4 Likes

These are great!

2 Likes

They do look super useful regardless of how you feel about the fabric choices! Love the little heart detail on the 2nd one.

3 Likes

I love these bags! I wish I could adopt your first least fave, that would go everywhere with me!

1 Like

The little heart inside the bag is precious! Anf I love the inside of the first bags fabric as well. The outside is nice and bright, but if it’s not you, I get it.

3 Likes

Love that Kona swatch fabric. I made a shirt from it a couple years ago!

10 Likes

I actually considered that when I took the bag to a quilt show to carry all my purchases. The only problem is that there are exposed seams on the inside.

Good news though, the bag is going to be rehomed into a loving, caring environment in a new country where it will be used as well as appreciated! :smiling_face: :canada:

3 Likes

Called it!
When I saw Magpie’s post I thought, “…and so was born yet another magpie box in yet another home…” lol

2 Likes

LOL, I love all of you sister weirdos so much :laughing:

3 Likes

Mines! The fabric is so wonderful in person & the size is fantastic. What did you use inside? It’s got a lofty sort of density that feels great.

Avec a bag of fabric scraps, I feel so spoiled.
Thank you so much, stitchy sis’ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

The bag is cute, but that interior fabric is swoon worthy!

The second bag is nice, too, but I agree about the batiks.

1 Like

The sewing machine strips are my favs. What is the design on the white-background strips to the right of the buttons strips? OMGoodness! That Kona cotton swatch fabric makes me swoon! I’d make wall art for my studio.

Batiks would have been pretty. I like them. I like the floral and the raindrops patterns. Who makes them?

Quilt-as-you-go are my types of projects. Quick and simple! :smile: TFS!

1 Like

Wow! These are absolutely great! So useful and cute to boot!

1 Like

@Magpie, I missed your question before. The inside of the bag is the June Tailor QAYG batting.

Those are needles with strings of thread.

The Kona swatch fabric was definitely the main redeeming element of this bag. It would make for a fun wall hanging! I’m not sure who makes the floral and raindrop fabric, I looked for remnants that might have the selvage info still attached, but only found a few scraps of the fabric. If I do come across the information, I’ll let you know.

Thanks, @Kwality570! I really like the size of the bags and plan on making another one - one that I will actually appreciate this time around :smile:.

1 Like