Quilt Block Tee! - Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge Entry

As soon as this challenge was posted I knew what I wanted to do and gasp it’s not my typical style of scrappy! I frequently use my Cricut for cutting heat transfer vinyl for shirts for the kids and find I have a lot of smaller leftover pieces that don’t really work for t-shirt designs but they are too big to just go in the garbage. There’s got to be something I can do with them, right? (These are just a few of the many scraps clogging up my crafting cart.)

Enter the quilt block tee! I love this idea because it’s crafty and a nod to another crafty hobby. Plus, I totally snuck a Star Wars square in there! :sweat_smile:

I cut squares to size then made some of them triangles and laid everything out:

I wasn’t sure how this would transfer during the ironing process because usually there is an excess of the sticky clear part after weeding that holds everything in place. Of course when I cut out my design, I cut all that off! But miraculously, everything stayed in place and the plastic came off without issue! Phew!

I was inspired by these awesome shirts I saw online. I do think I would prefer one that was all white squares/triangles but that just didn’t have the same scrappy impact.

Thanks for looking! :grin:

29 Likes

This is so clever! And it looks great

2 Likes

Oh, wow! This is brilliant! What a fantastic way to use up scraps. I particularly love the Star Wars piece.

1 Like

This is so cool!

1 Like

This is so neat!

1 Like

What a brilliant solution to the HTV scrap dilemma! SO cute!

1 Like

It’s fabulous! I would wear that everywhere.

1 Like

Thanks friends! :blush:

1 Like

I think the different colored squares match the center block perfectly compared to if it were all white - amazing out of the box thinking!

2 Likes

So clever! HTV scraps- I love it, and I love how you put this all together.

1 Like

I love this! You chose the perfect quilt block to work with those scraps and showcase your Star Wars print! As someone who also has a ton of htv scraps and is always on the lookout for cute, quilty tees, I think I may make one as well!

A little trick that I’ve learned for times when I don’t have the sticky carrier sheet, is that you can use blue painters tape to hold down the htv and it won’t leave behind any sticky residue after being hit with the iron or heat press and it comes off easy peasy when you’re done.

3 Likes

This is really pretty!! Wow, what a fantastic use of scraps!

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this tip! Squirreling away for next time…

I hope you do make one!!

1 Like

Genius! I love the design and colors on the grey shirt.

1 Like

So clever, and it looks amazing. Love the Star Wars nod.

2 Likes

How fun is this? So fun!

1 Like

:heart: :thread: :scissors: Congrats! Your beautiful Quilt Block Tee is a Featured Project this week! :scissors: :thread: :heart:

2 Likes

Aw! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: