Quiltalong - 2022

In. Love. Can’t wait to see it complete. :heart_eyes:

Gosh, what a beauty. Love that moon in the night sky.

I’m glad it reads as the moon, that was my intention, but we all know how that sometimes doesn’t translate. It’s actually hung upside down and then the other B&W square looks more like a night mountainous landscape. As if anyone will use it in one or the other orientation. We artist types get carried away sometimes.

I just finished Oct BOM (posting later) and now have to concentrate on:

• Finishing the last piece of this year’s Trunk or Treat decorations.
  • Finishing Nov BOM so I can finish the quilt to donate to our church craft sale just before Thanksgiving

Then back to finish the scrappy quilt. It’s winter in this hemisphere and people need quilts!

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous!

That is gorgeous!

-I marionberries , offer Mini Pumpkin Coaster for October’s prompt. It’s about 6" square. When life gives you mistakes, make coasters.

-I marionberries submit this as my current October BOM entry

lo

10 Likes

-I MistressJennie submit this as my current October BOM entry.

Since this month’s BOM patter was smaller than 12", I decided to adjust it a bit to make it fit with my other 12" Halloween blocks. As I thought about sizing it up, I thought it might be fun to play with the shape and size of the pumpkin; short and plump, tall and skinny, etc. So this one is short and plump! It contains some of my favorite mini charm squares from the Scrappy Mail Swap!

-I MistressJennie , offer Scrappy Pumpkins Block for October’s prompt

I couldn’t shake the idea of playing with pumpkin sizes and colors, so I raided more of the mini charm squares, and created a second block. Tall and skinny orange, and a little baby white pumpkin. I might go back and add stems to both blocks with applique, or I might leave them as is.

10 Likes

Awesome pumpkins you guys!!!

1 Like

I love the purple pumpkin! I contemplated purple for one of mine, but I had a few blocks with white in them, that I wanted to help tie into the rest of the quilt. But I’m really itching to add a purple one…

1 Like

I love your tall and short pumpkins! This block really lends itself to fun modifications. Very october vibes.

1 Like

Nice pumpkins!

1 Like

So many awesome pumpkins! I love the modifications.

1 Like

Another Free Pumpkin Block!

1 Like

I also finished November’s block. Again it was modified. But you will have to wait.

I now have 12 blocks and can complete the quilt in time to donate to our church craft fair. Should bring in a nice amount. But now, how do I price? Well I have time to ponder.

4 Likes

@sheepBlue asked me how many Halloween blocks I have finished now, and noted it seemed like a lot, possibly enough to put a quilt together. I told her I wasn’t sure, but that I really needed to lay them all out and look at them together. I had a feeling that I have more like some blocks to 3 or 4 different quilts. So here’s what I got…

I have 14 blocks, 11 of which I made, 2 from @Abbeeroad and 1 from @AIMR. (The first 3 of the middle row are Linda & Abbie’s respectively.) In looking at them as a photo, the two left/middle seem like they fit in less, because their backgrounds are not only lighter, but the light fabrics are less patterned.

(Honestly, Linda’s witch hat block is so freakin’ amazing, I think it might need to be its own project. Like a kick-ass wall quilt. None of the rest of the traditional pieced blocks hold a candle to the paper-piecing awesomeness.)

Here’s the group again, without those two blocks. That makes 12 blocks, and would be a good size holiday lap quilt.

I’m not sure I want to include the Hallows block, top row, 3rd from left. While it came out great, it’s the only block I used the white fabric, with the gold skulls & black spiders in. All the other blocks that have light backgrounds are off-white. I feel like the first 2 blocks in rows 1 and 2 go together. I feel like the cat w/pumpkin & the scrappy pumpkins go together. And I feel like the 3rd & 4th blocks in rows 1 & 2 go together… I’m not sure if the Cups & Saucers Block fits anywhere…

Am I looking at it all too closely? Should I just mix them all up and put it together somehow and stop worrying? Or should I make a couple more blocks that fit with the feel of certain others, to make 2 groups of blocks, for 2 lap quilts?

10 Likes

Just 2 DAYS more for everyone to enter their own cool project into the Craft The Equinox Challenge!

1 Like

The second layout is fabulous…I agree that the lighter backgrounds stand out too much and I think the more traditionally pieced blocks look a lot more cohesive…I’d try moving the upper left two…maybe move one to the far right…you have two in each corner that are too similar…I would also move the two pumpkin blocks…have the white pumpkin next to the orange one…just switch places…I think the two oranges together blend too much…I love the small spattering of that purple as well.

They are awesome…but now I want to make a Halloween themed quilt with my collection of Halloween fabrics…arghh…I need a clone!

2 Likes

I know! In making this ‘scrap’ quilt out of ‘the Halloween fabrics I had’, I’ve somehow acquired several new Halloween fabrics, and honestly have enough to make a couple of quilts now. I was supposed to be de-stashing!

5 Likes

I have the same dilemma with Christmas fabrics…I am afraid I am going to have to buy more…oh, well! lol

1 Like

Oh, and I hadn’t laid out the blocks above in any sort of order. At least not on purpose. I realized I did move them around a bit to put like items next to one another, to see see what coordinated well. But I didn’t intend them to be in those spots. Especially as I would lay it out the other way; 4 rows of 3 blocks, and would have the pumpkins all have the same ‘ground’ level, even in different rows.

1 Like