Quiltalong - 2022

Nice pumpkins!

1 Like

So many awesome pumpkins! I love the modifications.

1 Like

Another Free Pumpkin Block!

1 Like

I also finished November’s block. Again it was modified. But you will have to wait.

I now have 12 blocks and can complete the quilt in time to donate to our church craft fair. Should bring in a nice amount. But now, how do I price? Well I have time to ponder.

4 Likes

@sheepBlue asked me how many Halloween blocks I have finished now, and noted it seemed like a lot, possibly enough to put a quilt together. I told her I wasn’t sure, but that I really needed to lay them all out and look at them together. I had a feeling that I have more like some blocks to 3 or 4 different quilts. So here’s what I got…

I have 14 blocks, 11 of which I made, 2 from @Abbeeroad and 1 from @AIMR. (The first 3 of the middle row are Linda & Abbie’s respectively.) In looking at them as a photo, the two left/middle seem like they fit in less, because their backgrounds are not only lighter, but the light fabrics are less patterned.

(Honestly, Linda’s witch hat block is so freakin’ amazing, I think it might need to be its own project. Like a kick-ass wall quilt. None of the rest of the traditional pieced blocks hold a candle to the paper-piecing awesomeness.)

Here’s the group again, without those two blocks. That makes 12 blocks, and would be a good size holiday lap quilt.

I’m not sure I want to include the Hallows block, top row, 3rd from left. While it came out great, it’s the only block I used the white fabric, with the gold skulls & black spiders in. All the other blocks that have light backgrounds are off-white. I feel like the first 2 blocks in rows 1 and 2 go together. I feel like the cat w/pumpkin & the scrappy pumpkins go together. And I feel like the 3rd & 4th blocks in rows 1 & 2 go together… I’m not sure if the Cups & Saucers Block fits anywhere…

Am I looking at it all too closely? Should I just mix them all up and put it together somehow and stop worrying? Or should I make a couple more blocks that fit with the feel of certain others, to make 2 groups of blocks, for 2 lap quilts?

10 Likes

Just 2 DAYS more for everyone to enter their own cool project into the Craft The Equinox Challenge!

1 Like

The second layout is fabulous…I agree that the lighter backgrounds stand out too much and I think the more traditionally pieced blocks look a lot more cohesive…I’d try moving the upper left two…maybe move one to the far right…you have two in each corner that are too similar…I would also move the two pumpkin blocks…have the white pumpkin next to the orange one…just switch places…I think the two oranges together blend too much…I love the small spattering of that purple as well.

They are awesome…but now I want to make a Halloween themed quilt with my collection of Halloween fabrics…arghh…I need a clone!

2 Likes

I know! In making this ‘scrap’ quilt out of ‘the Halloween fabrics I had’, I’ve somehow acquired several new Halloween fabrics, and honestly have enough to make a couple of quilts now. I was supposed to be de-stashing!

5 Likes

I have the same dilemma with Christmas fabrics…I am afraid I am going to have to buy more…oh, well! lol

1 Like

Oh, and I hadn’t laid out the blocks above in any sort of order. At least not on purpose. I realized I did move them around a bit to put like items next to one another, to see see what coordinated well. But I didn’t intend them to be in those spots. Especially as I would lay it out the other way; 4 rows of 3 blocks, and would have the pumpkins all have the same ‘ground’ level, even in different rows.

1 Like

lol whew…I should have thought that…you have a way of “balancing” your blocks beautifully! I was thinking WHOA…maybe she is tired…lol…

2 Likes

Hmmm… Maybe I go for making 4 more highly strategic blocks, and do a 4x4 layout. I’ve got 1 white + 2 ivory backgrounds, 2 dark grey backgrounds, and 3 light grey backgrounds (all in the top 2 rows). Then I’ve got 1 scrappy cat, 1 black background, and 2 scrappy pumpkins.

Maybe make 2-3 with black backgrounds (to help tie in the Cups & Saucers), another cat of some sort (either with or without a pumpkin), and 1 more dark grey background.

3 Likes

lol sounds like more fabric to me…

It’s looking sooo good!!!

I like the variety with the 12. The two you took out mighr make a great table runner, placemats or wall hanging, with some added fabric.
The over all vibe is perfect! We need Halloween all year.

1 Like

D’oh! I completely forgot I have a bunch of Economy Blocks too! They could either be the center of a bigger block (like the witch silhouette in the Butterfly Block above), or combined in groups of 4 to make 12” blocks.

Like this…

I tried mixing them so each block got 1 orange, 1 purple, 1 light grey, and 1 dark grey, but it really didn’t work.

If I turn 8 into 2 Economy Blocks, and used the leftover to make another Butterfly, I’d have 3 out of 4 more. And I never made August’s block, so that could be the 4th…

6 Likes

@MistressJennie that quilt will be awesome!!!

@MistressJennie all those blocks look so great together!

@AudiobookLover, you mentioned a while ago using some quilt software called Electric Quilt 8. How do you like it? Would you recommend it? I’ve been dreaming of creating some of my own quilt patterns, and am super curious about it.

Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

1 Like

I used Ada’s morning nap time to fudge together 3 more blocks. I turned 8 of the Economy Blocks into two 4-Patch Economy Blocks, and then I used the other random one to create a Star Block. That makes 15 blocks. So I can either do 1 more for a 4x4 layout, or 5 more for a 4x5 layout.

This also allowed me to use an orange that was only in 1 other block, and created another with a medium grey background, helping to tie things together more.

8 Likes