Quiltalong - 2022

It’s magical!

2 Likes

I just found this excellent set of videos in using glue to bind quilts. I haven’t tried it, but the videos are in great detail and the finish is so good, is in three parts.

3 Likes

That was incredible. Did you watch all 3 videos? The technique is very similar to how I bind a quilt but using glue like that is a revelation, especially how she did it to join the strips!

What I want to know is what the heck kind of enormous surface she’s using that she can iron right on it?!
& also, where to find a glue tip like that.

Yes!!! To all your points. I have found these on AliExpress. 6Pcs Empty Glue Bottle With Needle Precision Tip Applicator Bottle For Paper Quilling DIY Craft Tool Precision Bottle|Craft Paper| - AliExpress

Her mitred corners are on point! Mine are rubbish, so I’ll be trying her method

1 Like

Windy March, sunny and mild one day, the next it’s sleeting or snowing, and the wind! I grew up inthe midwest and now I’m in Connecticut where it just isn’t that windy and I love the sound of wind this March.

-I marionberries offer Carol’s Sheild for my small. personal finish. I participate in a group that makes group quilts for a raffle to support the purchase of womyn’s land. It’s the site of the former Michigan Womyn’s Music Fest. This quilt will be made up of women warrior sheilds and this is mine. I’ll be sending it off tomorrow.

-I marionberries submit this as my March BOM entry. Crocus and wind.

8 Likes

Ah! I’m in love with your shield!! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I agree!! You did an amazing job @marionberries, there are so many great details to enjoy! I especially like the chain stitching around the bird and the sparkle at the end of the needle :sparkles:.

2 Likes

@Edel, nice job on the chevron quilt! It’s always nice to finally finish a project that’s become difficult!

@MistressJennie, as always, I am in awe of your free motion quilting skills!

3 Likes

I marionberries offer Kitten Quilt Two for my small or medium challenge entry. (I lost track)

I used a paper pattern to get the star quilting started on this one, paper piecing without the piecing. I usually just wing it with the quilting pattern, but by using the paper design, it looks so much sharper. New skill!

We use these mini quilt/kitten lap quilts to protect our laps from sharp claws (can’t trim them fast enough) and the kittens love them for a nap where ever they are laying.

10 Likes

I nominate for May or June the butterfly block: (https://fabric406.com/blogs/fabric406-blog/free-traditional-pieced-butterfly-quilt-block-tutorial) Nothing new here, but a fun design.
This is for a 12" block, but I can calculate out cutting guides for other sized blocks

And for August: How to Sew a Traditional Sunflower Quilt Block – fabric-406. This has some fun blocks to create
This is for a 12" block, but I can calculate out cutting guides for other sized blocks

5 Likes

Ooo…I like those! I got my machine back and need to play some catch up!

2 Likes

These are both awesome blocks! I hadn’t seen either of them before. I love how they’d fit in with my black & rainbow BOM’s I had from last year, or as filler for my Halloween quilt block stash.

2 Likes

I’m doing a rainbow theme for this year, and plan to donate the quilt to our church’s holiday fair. I know some people who will buy anything rainbow. You gotta love the lesbians!

5 Likes

LOL. When Jim & I were living in Bowling Green, KY, we had a friend who wanted to attend the Unitarian Universalist church there. She had grown up in one in Louisville, but didn’t want to go to the new one alone, so Jim & I went with her. She ended up not attending often, but we did. After growing up Catholic, both of us were a bit afraid of ‘church’, and were surprised to feel right at home among the UU’s. BG is such a conservative place, that it was nice to be in a group that was proudly pro-LGBTQ+, that was welcoming to Muslims & Jews in town, that welcomed us liberal humanist/atheists into the fold.

After attending for a year or so, they held a silent auction for a member who had cancer. I figured I should make something to donate, but was so busy with work, it would have to be an easy project. So I did a scrappy rainbow quilt, with 2.5" strips I had leftover from countless other quilts, and scraps in the costume shop. But I got sick, right as I was supposed to drop it off, and the minister offered to pick it up for me, but then he forgot, and the quilt missed making it into the auction. When I dropped it off a week or so later, telling the minister he could do whatever he thought best with it, whether it be give it to the church member who was battling cancer, or save it for a future fundraiser, he got very quiet. He said he was glad it had missed the auction, because it was a very special donation, and should be given it’s own ‘stage on which to shine’. So he started the next Sunday’s service by showing it off, and asking that anyone who was interested in it, see him after in the Fellowship Hall, with an offer. There was a small bidding war, and it ended up going to a local dentist & his wife who adored rainbows. I think there were a few rather disappointed lesbians who hadn’t bid high enough. The dentist insisted on taking a picture of us with the quilt together after he won it.

4 Likes

Hmm… I tried to upload a pic with my last message, but it keeps telling me permission is denied… Anyone else having trouble uploading pics?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an ongoing issue. Sweets is on it

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/i-cannot-load-photos/

2 Likes

What a lovely story. You never know how the things we make that to us are just ordinary, can touch someone’s heart.

I’m thinking that I’ll just have to do November’s and December’s blocks early to get the lap quilt done by the weekend before Thanksgiving for the holiday fair. I haven’t made much to donate the last couple of years, so this will be fun.

2 Likes

Happy National Quilting Day!

7 Likes

I finally got a good pic of my finished baby quilt. I really wish the site’s photo problems were fixed because I totally want to show it off to you guys!

8 Likes

I wish I had spent the day ‘celebrating!’ :smile:

@MistressJennie, I can’t wait for the pics to be fixed. I’ve been wondering if you’d completed your quilt and can’t wait to see it!

@marionberries, thank you for the BOM nominations! I’ll add them to the BOM roster next week (when I have access to a computer).

If anyone else has a block they’d like to share for the BOM, we still need blocks for June, July, September, October, November, and December.

3 Likes