Quiltalong - 2022

As of the start of this month, we have now entered into the second quarter, which means a new challenge!

Quarter 2 Challenge
(April 1 - June 30)
Finish your UFOs:

You know that project that you started, but ended up setting aside in favor of working on something else? Or the one that you wanted to have done before Christmas, but as the Christmas season got more hectic, you decided you’d have to finish it another time? Well, it’s time for those projects to shine! Finish your unfinished projects this quarter. Normally, an unfinished project would be categorized as one you’ve already started, but for this challenge, we will also count projects in which you already bought the fabric and/or pattern with a plan in mind, but haven’t had a chance to work on yet. It’s time for those projects to come out of their storage spaces and see the light of day!

5 Likes

Thank you @AudiobookLover. I get antsy when it’s cold out and don’t have a project.

@tendstowardschaos wow. And a scrap pile is like dirty laundry, always a big pile. Great work on the scrappy squares, they are wild!

3 Likes

Ah! Love those scrap blocks @tendstowardschaos!!

Congrats @marionberries! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m loving the randomness of them.

Congratulations, @marionberries! :tada:

1 Like

I got my 15 Stars quilt pinned today! I had to rearrange my living room to do it, but I finally feel like I’m in the home stretch on this one.

14 Likes

I’m sending out to a Long Arm Quilter tomorrow. I will finally, finally (2 years later) have something to show.

5 Likes

Yes!! I bought a honey bun (42" strips) and I’m going to use my 60 degree triangle ruler to make strip hexagon blocks. It wasn’t my intention but this will be my third project using hexagon shapes, using yet another different technique.

I hope to finish baby quilt #1 this week (as we’re planning on presenting it to the mum-to-be when we meet her next weekend) and for the Quarter 2 Challenge I hope to finally finish my EPP hexie quilt (hand sewn and hand quilted, I’m mid-way through the quilting stage right now).

@tendstowardschaos that’s beatiful! It’s a quilt with two tops rather than a back and a top!

@Magpie yay!! I’m already excited to see the result, I’m sure it will be lovely.

3 Likes

I marionberries offer April flowers for my small/personal finish.

I am following a rainbow/calendar month theme for this year’s BOM quilt. Using 2-3 rainbow colors as a basis for each block and trying to make them more or less match a month theme.

The center of this block was originally for the April BOM. But it just didn’t fit with the pink/green squares and I went with a different center fabric. But then the final square did not feel like April but really caught the May vibe.

So I just winged it and built out the original April center with Springier colors. I love it. But now I’m off a month. :scream_cat:.! I’ll live.

7 Likes

Guys! I’m so excited! I recently took a fabric collage class and created a bumblebee collage. I was back in collage class yesterday working on another project. While there, a store employee (the classes are at a sewing machine store) stopped by to see what we were working on. She mentioned that she was there to meet a quilt customer who was going to pick up a quilt that she (the employee) had just finished quilting. Apparently, the employee has a long arm business on the side. I asked her if she does grid quilting (a lot of the collage quilts are finished with a grid of differing sizes between the lines) and she said she does and that she was the one who quilted the instructor’s bee (which is exactly how I want my bee done). When I asked her how much it would cost to have her quilt my bee, she named a very reasonable price!

I could quilt the bee on my machine and with it just being a grid, it shouldn’t be very difficult. But, before starting, I would have to test all the settings on a sample piece that I would create to be a similar make-up to the bee to ensure that my tension and everything else would be just right for this specific project (which feels much more like a chore, than a fun part of the process). I’ve been planning on doing just that but not really looking forward to it. So, when I learned that she could take that off my plate, leaving me with more time to work on the stuff I was looking forward to, it felt like a weight was taken off my shoulders! I’m planning on taking the bee to her next week and will hopefully be able to get it back the following week! The next time you see this baby, he’ll be quilted and finished with a post of his own and I am so looking forward to that :smiley:.

14 Likes

Wow what a cool piece! Looking forward to seeing it quilted and reading more about it in your final post. I don’t know anything about this collage style quilt but I love it!

3 Likes

This bee quilt is beautiful!

2 Likes

Your collage is gorgeous!

3 Likes

My rainbow baby quilt is nearly finished!! I got all of the quilting done today. The only thing left to do is binding it.

I’ve been participating in a quilt course started by a local quilt shop. All lessons come with all the fabrics needed to make a 50 x 50 cm sampler. I’ve almost finished the sampler for the first lesson (6 pointed star, hand sewn). I used some leftover scraps from the backing of my big EPP hexie quilt. I hope to turn this little quilt into a matching pillowcase. The nice thing about hand sewing small blocks is that they’re easy to transport. I don’t have a lot of crafting time these days so a little sewing project is perfect to take with me on the train.

3 Likes

Just picked up from the quilter.

Binding & accessories to finish, then it’s off to baby M!

12 Likes

Thank you for the kind comments on my bee collage!

Congratulations on finishing the quilting for your baby quilt, @Immaculata! I’m glad that you’re able to work on your sampler blocks on the train. I am impressed by anyone who hand quilts, that is not a talent I possess!

@Magpie, it’s always so exciting to get something back from the quilter. I’m looking forward to the completed quilt reveal!

2 Likes

It’s beautiful! My local quilt store has the same collage pattern, and I’ve been itching to make it so long. Good for you dear!

2 Likes

That’s some impressive quilting! Can’t wait to see the whole thing.

@AudiobookLover I started out my crafting career as a stitcher, back when I was just a little kid. Hand sewing comes naturally to me. The only issue is sewing complicated blocks. I don’t want to bring 20 tiny pieces of fabric and risk losing some along the way.

2 Likes

Our friend’s little girl has downs, I especially wanted the quilt to have a textural element to make it extra interactive. It’s a game, I started 2 of them in 2020. Covid ate my motivation up to now :unamused: .

@Immaculata, a portable hand stitching craft I love are TM squares or fabric beads. So small & easy to transport, very satisfying.

3 Likes

I, tendstowardschaos offer my 15 Stars Quilt for my large personal finish.

This quilt is for a friend and it will be presented as a Quilt of Valor (he saw combat as a Marine). I know QOVF recommends no flag-like quilts, but his wife chose the pattern and it’s different enough from a modern flag that I think it’ll be alright. Plus, the other side is pretty much a quilt all by itself.

10 Likes

What an amazing and generous use of your talents. I love the double sided nature of this quilt!

2 Likes