Quiltalong - 2022

It sounds like you’re all set for this month’s prompt :wink:. Lol, I just saw that you’ve already gotten started. Woohoo!

@marionberries, I’m looking forward to seeing your tropical print quilt!

@tendstowardschaos how long does it take you to make those 9.5" squares?

2 Likes

The first day, I spent a few hours just sewing crumbs and trimming them up. The next day, I spent all day assembling them into clusters, trimming them to rectangles that were 5" wide. From there, I sewed them into two strips (about 13’ long), then sewed the strips together. I cut the 9.5" squares out of that. I’d say 1-1.5 hours each, on average. Not much precision involved, but lots of work. I’m so excited, though, because I just have 4 more to go!

2 Likes

What a great idea to sew them into strips and cut them down. How exciting to be so close to having them done! Once you’re done you won’t just have a new quilt, but a memory quilt of quilts past. Fun!

2 Likes

I got my bee collage back from the longarmer last week. All I need to do is bind and label it. But, with Mother’s Day approaching way too quickly, I am attempting to finish my mom’s gift - a wine glass collage. I think it will probably end up being late, but I’m going to try and get it to her as close to the day as possible.
I’ve already created the label for it and am really happy with how it came out.

11 Likes

That looks so cool!

3 Likes

Very cool!!

3 Likes

I managed to finish up the blocks for my scrap quilt. Here’s everything but the backing (have to get that yet):

10 Likes

I laid out the big squares without the sashing (little squares).

10 Likes

It’s wonderful.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s pretty wild to look at.

I just sorted all the sashing squares into piles, hoping to avoid repeating fabrics too close together. And, I realized that I had cut about 75 too many because my math was sloppy. :joy: Which is fine, because I was going to make a scrappy squares quilt out of the remainder of my not-quite-yardage stash anyway.

3 Likes

@AudiobookLover what a lovely collage. And thank you for reminding me I need to get on my Mother’s day card making.
And @tendstowardschaos , this quilt personifies your name beautifully! Wow, what a lot of work! The predominance of red and navy helps unify it. And the pinwheel blocks give a nice spinning anchor.

3 Likes

May Prompt
Start a new project:
I got started on my mom’s new light lap quilt. I raided her stash…she doesn’t sew anymore…and grabbed some bright tropical and flower-based prints. I’ve added some of my own stash plus some batiks. I’m working with 8" squares and will do a 4 x 5 or 6 square layout, or 20 to 24 finished blocks. I don’t want to get to fussy with the blocks, let the fabrics speak for themselves and so will just create them as I feel at the time. I’ve started with a couple of “blues”.

And more to come!

9 Likes

Voting is now open for the inspired along challenge, see the entries and vote here

I have done a lot of quilting in the last few days. I made four, and gave them their own post here

They look very pretty all together. They are all going to their new home tomorrow.

11 Likes

These all look so soft and calming. Love the shirt fabrics.

1 Like

What a beautiful display!

1 Like

A few more added to mom’s quilt. I’m beginning to think I may blind her! I really, really don’t like the orange one. I made a mistake cutting the colors…redo time.

7 Likes

I like the orange one! Pops, it’s unique & beautiful

2 Likes

I like them all!

1 Like

I have all the borders on my quilt squares. I had to overlap them an inch or three to pin them all up, but you get the idea. I’m going to try to get them assembled this weekend.

7 Likes