Quiltalong - 2022

I got the top all assembled! I’ll have to borrow my MIL’s living room floor to get this thing pinned, though. :crazy_face:

11 Likes

So awesome!!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

-I marionberries submit this as my May entry.

Since I am trying to match to bright colors and the month, well I am one month ahead…so my May offering is a June theme…I couldn’t resist making the butterfly block a butterfly. Whimsical.

11 Likes

Haha…love it!

2 Likes

Holy moly that’s a lot of scraps! Congrats on getting the top assembled!
@marionberries, your colors are perfect for a June theme and the butterfly is so fun and cheery!

4 Likes

I am putting the binding on the wine glass collage I made for my mom. It called for a quarter inch finished binding (the original strips were cut at 1.25”). I worried that it would be difficult to work with such a thin binding and considered going a little bit bigger, but in the end, I decided to follow the quarter inch instructions. Note to self - I need to simply listen to my instincts in the future! This binding has been such a pain! But the good news is 1. I’m halfway finished binding the quilt, 2. I now know to never go the quarter inch route in the future (I think I’ve used a 1.5” strip before and didn’t run into issues, so I was thinking that is now the smallest I’ll go - but now I can’t remember for certain if that was the size I used :woman_facepalming:) and 3. Most importantly, it looks fairly decent!

What’s the thinnest binding you guys have used without issue?

4 Likes

I debated finishing up the binding that I had started in my last post, but after giving it some thought, I just didn’t feel it was up to my quality standards. So, out came my trusty seam ripper. I did discover the minimum strip width for binding is 2” (based on the math, I thought it might be 1.75,” but I now know that would’ve come up short). The 2” strip gave me enough for a 1/4” seam allowance (the previous 1.25” strip only allowed for an 1/8” allowance) and left just enough fabric to flip and cover the initial tackdown line (literally ‘just enough,’ as in I’m pretty much sewing the binding down right on the initial tackdown line). I am now once again halfway finished with the binding, lol.

5 Likes

I pretty much always use 5cm or 2,5". Any thinner sounds like a nightmare to work with!

3 Likes

1/8" allowance! what a nightmare. I hate that moment when you’ve decided to just go ahead with some part of the project, get almost finished with it, and then bam, you just cannot accept how it came out. Ripppppppp. If only we could decide earlier. :stuck_out_tongue:, but then we wouldn’t be who we are!

I’m glad you are now happy with the binding, I love this piece.

3 Likes

I’m working ahead a bit because I need this done by November so I can donate it to our church’s craft fair silent auction segment. So who is going to nominate a block for June and July? Or Sept to end of year? I may redo my black cat/pumpkin block for October no matter the block.

5 Likes

Tons of tutorials for blocks!

I will go through them and nominate one for June or July!

I nominate this block for June!
Looks like an ice cream cone!

5 Likes

I love it! But the paper piecing template is not free, at least I can’t find it. I could probably mock one up, but is that fair? They are traditional designs, just the book and her pattern is for sale.

2 Likes

ugh…I will look for a new one…It looked like simple triangles to me…I am probably going to make my own version but I will nominate another one!

I like this one a lot…it looks complicated but it really is just a lot of pieces to put together…I am going to use up some batik fat quarters that I have been hoarding for a while…

Jacknife Block

4 Likes

Slow day, I’ve just about got the pattern done. I like this one, but if you aren’t a paper piecer, it’s a bit hard.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s a really pretty block! I’m looking forward to seeing your batik version!

Thank you @marionberries for pointing out that the pattern calls for paper piecing. I was able to find a traditionally pieced version also and will post links to both versions as our June block (though that probably won’t be until next week). If anyone is interested in checking it out before then, here is a link to the traditionally pieced Jacknife.

4 Likes

ooo see these… Seriously..I think it needs stitches.: Ice Cream Quilt Block Tutorial

Now I am hungry.

6 Likes

I seriously have loads of dot fabric that would make yummy cones! lol

2 Likes

The traditional one is much calmer and yet so pretty!

3 Likes

-I Abbeeroad submit this as my LATE January BOM entry.

Well I got my quilting mojo back…a liiiitle rusty but still fun!

Here’s my Jan block! :laughing: :see_no_evil:

Might tackle feb tonight too…not sure if this fits the challenge for this month. I’m starting…something. :woman_shrugging: :sweat_smile:

-I Abbeeroad submit this as my LATE February BOM entry.

ETA: Woohoo Feb is done!

10 Likes