Quiltalong - 2022

I regularly cut my scraps into 5" squares, 3.5", and 2.5". I find these sizes fit together mathematically …I have them stored in color order in cookie tins. Never occurred to me to use them up like this…I was saving them for a someday quilt since they are from every piece of fabric I ever had!

3 Likes

My only problem with the Jewel Box Quilt is that I don’t have a stash of the larger block components to match the smaller 2.5” pieces.

It’s so nice to be among people who understand!!

@Abbeeroad - yes, your blocks would fit this month’s challenge, but you could also submit them as your late BOM entries (you get 2 tickets to the prize drawing when you complete a BOM during that BOMs month and 1 ticket for BOMs completed outside of their month). I will give you the late BOM tickets for these and you can still submit a prompt entry for this month as well :blush:.

@MistressJennie all of your blocks look spectacular!

@Lynx it seems like life got busy soon after you got your new machine. Did you have much time to check it out before it got put away for awhile? I’m glad you’ll hopefully have a chance to get reacquainted soon!

I finished and sent off the wine glass quilt to my mom! I’m so happy to have it completed and will be creating a post for it when I have a chance :blush:.

5 Likes

I am using four of the quilt blocks from last year to make a table runner. I didn’t really like the grouping so I stopped mid-quilt…sometimes you have to step away and I know by now that if I am not excited about completing a project, it was not meant to be for a reason.

I did not know you could submit late blocks! I will endeavor to complete the earlier ones because they are so nice!

3 Likes

I updated my post with the proper BOM entry headers! Thank you! :grin:

2 Likes

We still have room for some BOM nominations!

Months in need of a block -
July
September - now has a block
October
November
December

Any suggestions? The Riley Blake block challenges from 2021 and 2022 have fun patterns with nice and concise directions. I particularly like the shining star block from 2021, especially with the decorative stitching the designer added. And this Lynx block from 2022 looks like such a fun opportunity to showcase some great fabric!

You can also look through a variety of free blocks on the Quilting Daily website and links to free blocks on the sewing loft blog. I’m really excited to see all the BOMs and how everybody puts their blocks to use!

3 Likes

There are some pretty cool blocks in those Riley Blake links. I especially love the Tilt a Whirl and I Heart Quilting. I just wish they weren’t all 10", as my brain isn’t up to the math to change them to 12" just now. (Ada is letting us get some sleep, just not enough sleep. LOL) I really liked that the blocks on Generations Quilt Patterns had directions for 6", 8" and 12" blocks, because I know some of our folks make smaller blocks.

I’ll try to look at the Sewing Loft & Quilting Daily links you posted while I pump tonight…

3 Likes

I will nominate the blazing arrows block for whichever month you like if it works for everyone!

3 Likes

Ooh, that looks like a September block to me! I will get it added in a bit (there’s a little boy pulling on my arm right now wanting me to pick him up :blush:).

3 Likes

Abbee, that’s an awesome block!

Also, why am I so drawn to star blocks? Every Star block I see I’m like, ”Ohhh, nominate that one…” :star_struck: Usually very complicated ones that aren’t great for varying skill levels.

So how about Aunt Dinah or the Double Quartet?

Unless people are craving more intense star blocks, then I’d put forth Honeymoon or Memory block.

P.S. This is totally not me nominating 4 blocks! I already picked one myself. I just thought I’d see what the group thought of these. Feel free to ignore me!

3 Likes

So many blocks…wow…all good! I started collecting star blocks when I was making quilts for Wounded Warriors…I just love them! I might just stick to the rwb color theme for all the stars so I can cobble together another one…it has been a few years since I have donated one to them!

3 Likes

I enjoyed making those Star blocks for one of those WW quilts in our block swap.

1 Like

I just pulled those out today as one of my WIPS to finish for this quarter’s challenge!

2 Likes

I love this block and could not find a free template. So I made my own. I only did one of the burst block with the alternate corner pieces for the others. And since I am going to make it for July for my rainbow color quilt I did a red, white, and blue theme. (I’ll do the ones for BOM too).

It’s not perfect, but you can follow the instructions here Looks like an ice cream cone!

So if you want to make this for any reason, try this untested template:

6 Likes

That is fantastic! I’ll give it a go this weekend!

I’ve retgought my Mom’s Quilt several times and I think 12 squares and sashing is the way to go, gives me the right size too.

Now to arrange and rearrange until satisfied. This layout is just not it.

9 Likes

Such bright and happy colors! The butterflies are gorgeous…and the hibiscus flowers are so tropical looking…great for a summer quilt! (I collect hibiscus fabrics as well…just haven’t decided on a pattern yet!)

1 Like

BOM nominations are now open for seconds. If you’ve already nominated a block, but have another one that you’d like to add, feel free to do so.

Month’s still in need of a block:
July
October
November
December

2 Likes

@MistressJennie, I always find myself drawn to star blocks too! Any of those 4 blocks that you posted would be a great addition to the BOM!

@AIMR, what a great way to put your talent to such a thoughtful use! I’d love to see your WIP!

@marionberries, that looks like such a fun block!! It reminds me of a firework.

1 Like

I, AIMR, offer this table runner as Qrt 2 Challenge to finish some WIPS!

I made these blocks last year with the intention of making a quilt, but I really did not like it and didn’t want to make any more to make a quilt. I decided to cut my losses and use up what I made in other projects. I have a table in our foyer that I decorate for fall each year that needed a runner, so that is what I made. The back used up a square that I hated the most. Seeing it all together, I am OK with it…plus, it will be covered in pumpkins and other decor, so…

Back:

Things I learned:

Variegated thread will disappear in some colors. I really did not like that for quilting and ended up unpicking the entire black sashings because the random colors were just not to my liking.

You can use uneven blocks and fudge the sashing a bit but it is noticeable. I can live with it, but, it makes me more determined to make sure my blocks are all the EXACT same size!

I don’t need to continue down a path I am not happy with…I am going to use my time to do projects I enjoy, not those I feel obligated to do!

Some things can be “saved” and turn out better than you think! My husband loves it, anyway!

10 Likes