Quiltalong - 2022

Ok, just sent you two envelopes. Mostly all different prints, but there are a few sorta-duplicates. Like a dinosaur print, where I fussy cut 3 different dinos, so you could have a T-Rex, Stegosaurus, and Brachiosaurus.

2 Likes

I have a variety of 5” squares I can send along. They should be easy enough to cut down to 4” while maintaining the main print.

@MistressJennie, did you just put the fabric in a regular envelope with an international stamp?

Thank you so much sweetie xx

1 Like

No problem! We’re sick over at my house right now, so I’ll give it a few days before I gather everything up in order to prevent the transmission of any contagions. Though I imagine if the mail’s as slow as it’s been lately, any possibility of a contagion would be long gone before it arrives on your doorstep.

Not quite. I put the squares inside a greeting card, trying to evenly distribute them so there wasn’t one really thick area. A lot of envelopes get sorted by machine, and a thick bump inside one can cause the envelope to rip open.

2 Likes

That’s very helpful to know, thank you!

-I MistressJennie offer Rainbow Carpenter’s Wheel Wall Quilt for my medium challenge entry

It might be smaller in size at 24” square, but this one took a long time to plan out, cut, stitch, square up HST’s, quilt, and create a label for.

6 Likes

Meanwhile… I have a bunch of 2.5” strips in shades of brown and green, from some Stacked Coins wedding quilts I made back in 2009-2010. They don’t really coordinate with any other strip colors in my stash, so I want to use them up somehow. I saw a free quilt pattern from Jordan Fabrics called Diamond Trip and decided to try it.

When I went to slice up a few more strips to round out what I have, I bumped into a single 9-Patch square and the component strip sets to make more. They’re leftover from making a baby quilt in 2007-2008. I have enough to make 38 or 39 squares. So I started piecing them today while trying to get Ada to nap. A small project to do in fits and starts as she fussed. I have no idea what I’m going to do with them, but I seem to be on a kick, using up stash around the house. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I, tendstowardschaos, offer Giant Scrappy Zipper Tote Bag for my small 3rd Quarter Challenge entry.

9 Likes

I love seeing all this scrappy goodness!

2 Likes

Just finished 1/2 of the block, 7"*20", took about 15 hours, it will be the centre of a twin size duvet cover.

This is only 1 of 3 quilts I hope to finish for Christmas

10 Likes

Ada napped so well this afternoon! I managed to finish these blocks. There are 39 of them. Still no idea what to do with them. :woman_shrugging:

I also managed to cut the brown strips I had on hand to the needed sizes for that Diamond Trip pattern, and piece together a few shorter chunks into usable lengths. I need to cut more from random chunks of yardage, but it’s a good start.

7 Likes

I was making this quilt for my mom and then she suddenly passed away last week at 93. She had a good long life and we miss her so much.

I asked my sister who lived near her and visited frequently, if she wanted me to finish it for her. I used mom’s fabrics in many of the blocks. My sister was quite touched. Ah, we miss mom.

12 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Oh I’m so sorry!! I know we are all watching the progression of your mom’s quilt. 93 is many years of life and love. :heart:

Hugs to you Carol, I’m so happy you will finish your mom’s quilt for your sister. That’s a lovely idea.

I’m so sorry to hear this. What a thoughtful idea to finish her quilt and give it to your sister.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Just because someone lived to such an old age, doesn’t make the loss any easier. It’s a very nice gesture to finish it for your sister. She will probably love seeing your mum’s fabrics in them.

1 Like

I’m so sorry Carol. :broken_heart:

I finished cutting up all the brown strips (and a bit of scrap yardage) for the scrappy Diamond Trip quilt. My original plan was to use some green batik as the contrasting diamonds, but I don’t think there’s enough contrast with that option.

Here’s a closeup of the brown strips:

Here’s the green with it. This photo definitely makes it look like a big contrast. In real life, it’s totally not.

I found some deep red that works a little better, but I’m still not sure it’s great. Again I feel like there’s not a strong enough contrast. It’s more like the red picks up on some of the red bits in the scrappy strips.

Here it is with a few other colors, none of which I have yardage of, but just to see what might look good.

Royal blue:

Aqua: This one actually seems like a good contrast, but I’m wondering if it’s too 1998, when everything was suddenly brown and aqua.

Rust: This one does pop, both because of color contrast, and because it’s a solid where everything else is a print.

Gold: This is a more subdued gold in real life. The photo makes it seem like it glows.

What do you guys think? I don’t have a problem buying a little yardage to use up all this scrap. It would be like buying 1 skein of yard to get rid of 20 partial skeins. In the original video that Jordan Fabrics did, she made two versions of the quilt. One with a jelly roll of matched fabrics, and one that was really scrappy. If you fast forward to the end of the video you can see that version. She had a lot of mismatched fabrics, but all of them were lights and her contrast diamonds were a deep blue which really popped.

5 Likes