Quiltalong - 2022

@MistressJennie that pop of color really makes the square!

And @tendstowardschaos what puffy goodness!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of a quilt being bound before it’s quilted but I don’t see why you couldn’t in this case. If you were machine quilting it I’d say don’t but doing it by hand there shouldn’t be movement between the layers, especially since it’s so well basted.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I guess the extra fabric on the top and bottom was probably left there in case I wanted to use a big frame to quilt it, but I’m using a hoop that’s in my lap.

Now I just need to find the right fabric for binding! I’m thinking of sewing all my binding scraps together for a scrappy binding to match the scrappy quilt.

3 Likes

Getting ideas for the theme for my 2022 quilt. Rainbow! Mostly brights. So off to pick out colors for January.
And my newly organized stash, larger pieces by color with dividers, fat quarters in boxes on lowest shelf, and trays of odd but useable bits.

10 Likes

After cutting the fabric for my January BOM, I just sorta kept cutting… Soon I had the fabric to make 14 blocks. Which was a weird mixed up number of blocks. No good use for 14. I’d either need to make more or split them into two quilts. Since the colors were such bright kid colors, I decided to turn them into 2 baby quilts. (Probably going to Quilts for Kids.) So this morning I finished the last part of the 13 remaining 9-Patch Star blocks. Then I used the scrap 2.5" blocks I had leftover from cutting, to make 4 Framed 9-Patches, with some more turquoise fabric that came from my mom. (It came from the same FQ Bundles that the lighter pink and purple came from.

After lunch I stitched up the pile of blocks into 2 baby quilt tops! Here’s the first, made from all Star blocks.

I like how the pattern creates secondary stars in the corners where the blocks meet.

And here’s the second top, with the Framed 9 Patches.

Since the blocks are 10", each quilt is 30" square. I dug back through the fabrics mom sent, and found some 1-yard cuts that will work for backings and binding both. All in all these two tops used 6.5 fat quarters, 8 jelly roll strips, and 3 1-yard cuts, with some scraps of each leftover. AND I just checked my bin of batting scraps and found I have 1 larger piece, that is just big enough to do the two quilts! With about 1" of clearance on all sides. Perfect. Looks like I’ll be quilting them tomorrow.

15 Likes

Wow. I so love this block in multiples, it’s bright and fun.

3 Likes

Gorgeous little quilts! I love the colors combos and the blocks you used.

3 Likes

A scrappy binding would be perfect on this quilt. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

2 Likes

I marionberries , offer Let it Snow for January BOM

I adapted the 10 inch to 12 inches, not easy with a 5 x 5 grid. I based it on 3 inch squares then stitched using my 1 cm foot instead of a scant 1/4 inch. Came out just a bit short, but not enough to matter. Then I cut wrong on the snowflake fabric and I only had so much. So ended up doing standard HST blocks.

I’m using bright rainbow colors overall with seasonal themes for this quilt and will probably auction off for a charity come the fall. So Rainbow here we come.

12 Likes

Beautiful!!!

1 Like

I like the different versions of January’s BOM! @MistressJennie, those quilt tops look so good! Thank you for pointing out the secondary star. I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.

4 Likes

I love both versions!

@MistressJennie so many kids are going to be happy with those beautiful quilts! I don’t know how you do it, finish up those quilts so fast. I’m working on a relatively tiny project but with sewing, ironing, sewing, ironing, cutting to size etc it just takes ages and ages.

4 Likes

This is so bright and cheerful! I love it!

3 Likes

I’m nominating a Block of the Month! How about the Royal Star Block?

That link has directions for a 6", 9", and 12" version. There’s also an alternate ‘goose-less’ version at the bottom, that doesn’t include Flying Geese pieces. It’s called the Weathervane Block.

I was really torn on this nomination, because I also think the Rocky Mountain Puzzle is pretty cool, and they again have directions for various sizes.

5 Likes

That royal star block will be a nice addition! Thank you for also including the weathervane version! If we don’t get enough block nominations for the year, you’re welcome to nominate the Rocky Mountain puzzle block.

2 Likes

I think the Rocky Mountain puzzle block looks cool, so I’ll go ahead and nominate it!

3 Likes

It might be fun to do a wonky log cabin at some point. It fits the way I feel about the world these days…wonky. So If we need a filler for some month…

8 Likes

That sounds like my style, too! :laughing:

2 Likes

This is awesome! I could definitely do this for my scrap quilt!

1 Like

I just made a set of coasters sort of like that.

Easy & fun to sew, I like the wonk :slight_smile:

14 Likes