Quiltalong - 2022

Got 1 of the 9-Patch star quilt tops quilted today, and the other one is about halfway through being quilted. Hope to have them finished tomorrow!

5 Likes

fun coasters!

I, Cindy, offer Pink Penguin Party Doll Quilt for my small personal finish.

12 Likes

I, Cindy, offer Pink Penguin Party for my large personal finish.

15 Likes

How fun!! I love the cozy crinkle effect your quilting gave the large quilt! That’s super cute that you made a full size and a dollhouse quilt. Are the dollhouse penguins the same size as the large quilt penguins?

3 Likes

Yes they are. I had intended to make the large quilt one row longer but decided not to after I had them all made. One is on the back of the large quilt and the rest made the doll quilt.

2 Likes

Bit of a delayed reply, but I’ve just started reading the thread :see_no_evil:

I think your renovations sound fabulous! My partner and I have just bought a 3 bedroom house, and we are going to do something really similar :grin: We will have 1 master bedroom, a craft studio for me and an engineering lab for him. We are both very excited. I can’t justify having a spare room, because without exaggeration, I haven’t ever had someone sleep over at my house. No one I know lives far away enough…they can just go home :sweat_smile: I do love your idea of a day bed though, and I would consider it if my studio was bigger.

Now I’m back up to the top to read the rest! :stuck_out_tongue:

@Cindy your Pink Penguin Parties are gorgeous!!

@MistressJennie sorry I’m late to the party, but congratulations!! Such wonderful news :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I have updated all the prize drawing entries and you can now track your tickets by clicking on the link in the very first post. If you’ve submitted a project, please take a moment to check and make sure that I added it to the tracking sheet.

4 Likes

I thought some of you guys might like this stash-busting scrappy pattern. You can make it truly scrappy by patching together all kinds of leftover bits like she did in the white & blue version, or you can make it more unified with a jelly roll. The video shows her making the very scrappy version, but she also shows off the jelly roll version for a minute. The written pattern is free on their site, but here’s the video:

4 Likes

Oooh noooo… Mr. Imma has made a blood stain on the white border of my hexie quilt :anguished: It was folded up in the corner of the couch (the place where I usually work on it, I’m hand quilting) and he moved it when he had a cut on his thumb. The first couple of days the cut opened up a few times and then he’d go and put a bandage on it, somehow he didn’t notice he spilled a drop of blood on it. I know a few tricks to get bloodstains out and he’s of course going to help me, he feels pretty bad about it. Fingers crossed I’ll be able to wash it out! It’s not big but a red stain on a white border really, really stands out.

2 Likes

His own saliva is the best thing to get his blood stain out. Good luck!

3 Likes

I use dishsoap, it’s good for cutting protein.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Hydrogen peroxide will break up the blood. I usually alternate between that and soap with cold water until it’s gone.

2 Likes

To my surprise, a couple of minutes rinsing with cold water was enough! I normally pour a bit of milk on it, milk or salt is what my grandma taught me.

1 Like

@photojenn is right, your own saliva is the best at getting out your own blood, but it doesn’t work with someone else’s. Time tested method I learned in grad school for costume design. The whole shop, drapers, first hands, stitchers, baby interns, all would jump to spitting on a costume if they accidentally bled on it. :joy:

2 Likes

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I cut off some leftover backing from my hexie quilt. I wasn’t sure what to with it, then I remembered there was similar fabric in my quilting course sampler kit. Unfortunately it didn’t quite match the other light coloured fabrics in the kit, but it did match the coloured fabrics (6 pointed stars). So I’m going to use all of the backing scraps instead of the light coloured fabrics. Aaandd I’ve already marked 24 x 6 diamonds while watching Netflix! When I get around to starting this kit, future me will thank me for doing the worst part today.

4 Likes

I quilted and bound those baby quilts for Quilts for Kids, but I keep forgetting to take pictures. Gotta remember to do that later today. Meanwhile, after emptying the guest room to turn into the nursery, I had a pile of misc stuff land in my studio. I hate feeling messy and disorganized in there, so I’ve spent the last few days cleaning and sorting. I got 2 large flat-rate boxes filled up with costume patterns sent off to the college I taught at. Got a full tote bag of unwanted craft books taken over to the library for donation. I went through 20+ giant binders from grad school, recycled what wasn’t needed anymore, and organized what I wanted to keep into 2 milk crates to go to the garage. I attacked all my printed quilt and crochet patterns and craft magazines. Culled the patterns I won’t really make, pulled out a few I might from the magazines and recycled the rest, and organized them into page protectors in two binders. (Gotta love finding ‘new’ binders by cleaning some out. And finding a stash of brand new page protectors because you bought so many in grad school.)

Then I started sorting fabric. Got the large flat folded stuff down from 3 cubbies to two. Went through the smaller yardage and culled useless scraps (too small for 2.5” squares), and neatened the folding so now all of that fits in one cubby bin, rather than 3. One of the newly empty bins is now small yardage sets that go together for planned future projects, and the third bin is now holding pre-cuts like fat quarters and jelly rolls. The stuff that was bigger than 2.5” but is too small to be called yardage is now in two small piles to be cut into 5” squares, 2.5” strips, and 2,5” squares. I seem to have a lot of browns and tans, so I’m thinking of making up a quilt top of the pattern I linked to a few days ago, with the strips and diamonds, just to get more out of the stash.

Oh, and the final empty cubby is now home to my two ongoing BOM projects; the black & rainbow blocks I started last year, and the Halloween blocks. It feels nice to have my quilting stuff under control. Now to attack my jewelry area…

8 Likes

Whew. And I was patting myself on the back for going through and sorting all the winter gloves, hats, and scarves. Did get a small bag for donation which is timely as we are looking at a foot of bright sparkly snow and single digits today.

3 Likes

-I MistressJennie offer Bubblegum Baby Quilts for my medium challenge entry.

When looking around my natural environment (ie, my craft studio) I noticed I was surrounded by random precuts my mom sent me. So. Many. Precuts. I decided to cut one of January’s BOM out of 2 of the FQ’s. Then I decided I had no use for just one of the block. So maybe I’d use up some more fat quarters, and make a couple of blocks. Somehow that turned into me cutting 14 whole 9-patch stars out of 6 FQ’s and 2 colors of jelly roll strips. :woman_facepalming:

14 is a weird number of blocks to turn into a quilt, but I didn’t really want to cut a ton more. Even though I had more fat quarters in those fabrics, I decided to see what I could do with the scraps leftover from the first 14. I found I had enough to make 4 mixed 9-patches, and with just 1 more FQ, I could make frames for them. All in all these two quilts used 6.5 fat quarters, 8 jelly roll strips, and 3 1-yard cuts for the backing and binding, with some 2.5" square scraps of each leftover.

Since the blocks are 10", each quilt is 30" square. After just a few franken-seams, I was even able to use up some scrap batting, and cleared out 5 nearly empty spools of thread in the piecing and quilting. These are both going to Quilts for Kids.

BTW, if you want to donate to them, they take 100% cotton quilts in kid-friendly fabrics, or they will even send you a pre-cut quilt kit, along with the pattern, for you to make and send back. They receive lots of bolts of kid fabrics from fabric manufacturers when a line is discontinued, so you never know what you’ll receive in your kit. It is a good way to jump start your crafty mojo when you have no idea what you want to make next.

P.S. I hope you liked the puppy paw in the first two photos. I decided to take pics in the new nursery, because the floors are pretty empty right now, but Astrid thinks it’s HER new room, and has taken to bringing her bone in there, and napping in the sunshine. She refused to move for something as mundane as a photo shoot.

9 Likes

These are so fun. The colors are bright and cheery. They will be loved!

2 Likes