Quiltalong - 2022

I have an ombre jelly roll that I bought specifically to make a Jelly Roll Race quilt with and one of these days, I really am going to do it :laughing:. Are you thinking of doing a standard one, or changing it up a little bit?

2 Likes

Here’s another quilt that would be a great way to use up scraps.

3 Likes

I like it.

Although my scraps are defeating me at the moment, I think I need a better system, mine is just too random

2 Likes

I just saw a headline that said Electric bills could increase by 64%… looks like someone around here should get over her “I don’t know sewing” hang ups ASAP! I love reading along here for inspiration and motivation to learn.

6 Likes

Your are very talented and creative, sewing would be a doddle to you.

3 Likes

Every time I try to sew something I think “I don’t know what I’m doing. I have no business sewing.” But I do it anyway. :laughing: You can do it!!

6 Likes

You are very kind, thank you. I know it’s a ridiculous hang-up. It’s not like anything truly bad happens if you mess it up, I just need to get out of my own way. I had been ready to start, took a “get to know the sewing machine” afternoon class to be able to take a regular ongoing class… in January of 2020 and we all kbow how that went. Maybe this winter will be my year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe start with really simple things like pillow cases, cushion covers. The best way to learn is practice. If you don’t want to mess up for fabric, hit the thrift stores for cotton sheets/large dresses etc, you can harvest a lot of fabric that way.

5 Likes

This is a good video with some tips

Here’s a 5 part beginners sewing course

4 Likes

Thank you!

Hahaha…I 100% do what the top video says not to in the still. :laughing:

I could probably benefit from these as well. My local quilt shop has a “Beginner Sewing Class” that I was considering even though I’ve been using my machine for years. But I’m probably doing everything wrong!

3 Likes

I learn new stuff all the time…I especially love the tips and shortcuts and over the years, have even developed my own. I sometimes think you can lose some spontaneity when there are too many “rules”. As an example, I totally understand nesting seams and pressing in such a way to make seams flatter. I try to do this most of the time, but if I make a mistake, I have found that once I quilt or finish off with topstitching, it doesn’t seem to matter. I have loosened up a lot over the years and still come out with good looking projects.

Learn the techniques and then it is easier to adapt them to your own.

4 Likes

Yes, I think a little bit more structure would probably help me. “Know the rules so you can break them,” right?

I can’t decide if it was a blessing or a curse that I was able to basically sit down at a machine and start sewing. I never thought it was a big deal until I saw someone else try for the first time and it was a wandering, uneven mess.

I continue to learn a lot from folks here, too. This craftalong in particular has really increased my sewing confidence. Speaking of which I really need to catch up on my blocks!!

4 Likes

Yes, those are great projects to start learning how to sew! The best way fabric to start with is 100% cotton fabric. I know a lot of beginners in my sewing class want to start out making a cute dress from a knit fabric, but knit fabrics are annoying to cut even for an experienced person.

I learned to sew from my mum when I was a kid and I started learning by making a basic quilt. I stitched together rectangles that I cut from her sewing scraps and from old clothes. Is it pretty? Not really, from an objective point of view. There is not a straight line in the entire quilt. Is it still keeping me warm 25 years later? Absolutely. And also full of memories now. The quilting process itself is more challenging than piecing a top but there are alternatives like tying a quilt, using fleece as a backing, or doing a very basic form of quilting (my friend does this: she uses iron-on batting, sew backing to the top, right sides together, turn, close, then add a few tacking stitches here and there by hand to keep the layers in place).

2 Likes

Nothing new for you until the Thing is finished :flushed:

1 Like

Ha!
(Dont look at the sockalong thread! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

4 Likes

Top stitching covers a multitude of sins

2 Likes

You knew I would and I did :crazy_face:

1 Like

-I MistressJennie submit this as my current September BOM entry.

11 Likes

-I MistressJennie offer Scrappy HST Pillow Top for my small challenge entry.

This pillow top used up 144 of the 160 HST’s leftover from making the quilt top! It’s about 17".

-I MistressJennie offer Scrappy Diamond Trip Quilt Top for my medium challenge entry.

Ordered the batting and backing for curbside pickup. Hope to have this quilt done soon!

9 Likes