Quiltalong - 2022

Lovely BOM @AIMR And those acorns are fab

This technique was new to me, a paperless Foundation piecing method, that looks faster and simpler. I’m going to give it a go today.

3 Likes

I don’t do a ton if sewing and have only done a few quilts but I did try out the 770QE a few years ago and ended up buying a Juki TL-18QVP (high speed mechanical straight stitch) and Juki DX-2000QVP (computerized) and saving several thousand dollars (machine price, specialized feet, etc). The 770QE is nice but it’s completely computer operated, I do 99% of my sewing on my straight stitch mechanical with a huge throat.

2 Likes

I’m specifically looking for a computer operated machine and not a mechanical one. I already have a great mechanical machine but a computerized machine offers a lot of extra features that I know I’ll get a lot of use out of. I’m also specifically looking for a machine that offers a lot of embroidery options.

My mum has an older edition QE (Virtuosa 150 QE, 20-ish years old) and when I visit her I often bring a bag of items to finish on her machine. For example, my machine can do buttonholes, it’s fine for one or two buttonholes, but if I’m finishing a blouse I’ll do the buttonholes on my mum’s machine so they all look exactly the same. She lives two hours away, so just a bit too far away to go sewing there every week.

I’m not opposed to getting anything that’s not a Bernina, but for practical reasons, I do think I’ll end up with one. Nearly everyone I know has a Bernina, in my sewing class we use Bernina, so it would be a hassle if you couldn’t borrow anyone’s feet anymore, if I couldn’t bring my own spool to class etc. They’re great machines but it’s true they are very expensive, even if you buy them used.

I haven’t tested the 770QE yet because I think it will be so hard to resist buying it once I’ve tried it, but theoretically it could happen that I don’t like it and that I’d prefer another machine. My local shop also sells all the other main brands so there’s more than enough choice. But a few years ago I did a free motion embroidery workshop on a Bernina 475 QE and that was already such a big difference. I can do free motion embroidery just fine on my old mechanical machine, but it was much easier on that one.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’d get good use out of it!

1 Like

I will never get rid of my old mechanical machine though. That’s my first sewing love. Plus I also have a vintage 1950s Husqvarna with a very powerful motor. We’re renovating our house this winter and in my craft room there’ll be a big window and underneath it I’m going to build a desk and set up all my machines there. On the other side of the room I’m planning a cutting table at the right height.

I’d been meaning to ask you guys and this is as good as a time as any, so, if you were building a sewing/quilting space from scratch, what would you consider absolutely necessary?

I’m going to do all the crafts there, not just quilting, but crafts like knitting can be done anywhere, quilting is probably the most space-consuming craft. The room isn’t that big, a little under 15 m2 in the attic, so I have to make smart choices.

2 Likes

I wish my cutting table was in the middle of the room so I could drape over the sides & walk all around it. It should be so sturdy that you could dance on it and it would not wiggle one teensy bit
Enough space between machines, in fact the serger on its own table.
SQUISHY FLOORING! There is some very durable industrial/restaurant rubberized click-together planking that’s fantastic underfoot.
One whole wall of shelving. A small computer desk away from the rest. Photography studio quality lighting.
That’s my wishlist anyhow.

4 Likes

The only thing I’d add to Magpie’s list would be drawers between the machines and an L shaped ledge next to my main machine so I can turn to the side and pin something quickly if needed.

This is how I have my sewing/office area setup currently. Sewing area on the left and back wall, desk on the right. It’s a small room (about 8’x10’) so I couldn’t have a stand-alone cutting table or ironing station.

2 Likes

My current crafting space is 14x14. But, it also acts as my office and computer workspace.

We have a 15x20 “living room” space that is currently being used as storage for Jim’s studio gear, my bins of fabric and yarn, and extra pantry stuff (we have very little kitchen storage). It holds our seasonal items as well as a bunch of who knows what!

I am working through the boxes to get rid of stuff we haven’t touched in 3 years…I also have some of my parent’s stuff that I didn’t get a chance to go through when we moved suddenly.

My quilting dream is to reduce the stuff so I can switch rooms. I would definitely want a tall and long cutting table in the center. The room has two huge windows as well and closes off at both ends. It is at the opposite end from the bedrooms so I could be in there at any hour I wanted.

sigh I wish I could snap my fingers and it would be done.

2 Likes

Ah, my wish for my craft room is a table. Currently, I have a counter for painting and paper crafts (which is now buried under UFOs and other not put-away stuff) and I use my ironing board with a cutting mat for cutting squares and trimming. I use the floor a table on the porch for laying out larger items. My dining room table folds out to a larger surface but it is scrunched in a corner to accommodate my office and tends to gather stuff.
Any flat surface grows STUFF! We are currently in the “we’ve ignored the house all summer and now have to live it for the winter” stage of putting stuff away.

3 Likes

I’m loving all this talk about dedicated craft spaces!

Since DS2 was born, I first had a corner of the living room, then work-from-home-during-covid DH confiscated that…I have been reduced to a card table next to the TV. But, our full-blown basement remodel is supposed to happen this winter and I will finally have a decent amount of room, both for my books and for crafting. I’ll be starting from scratch and need ideas.

3 Likes

You are so right! A flat surface attracts stuff and cats to knock off the stuff!

2 Likes
  • Measure the space.
  • Analyze your working style, or if working in squeezed-in and inadequate spaces, think about where you would reach for things, and what things you use most.
  • What tasks you will be doing most, what needs the most space?
  • Storage, inventory your stash and then double your estimate of space needs. :rofl: *
  • Clear bins, shelves, etc. I love big bins but they are a pain to sort through, but too many little bins cause the same problem in sorting through too many little boxes.

My wins when I designed and then redesigned the space:

• A chest of shallow drawers (plastic roller shelves that the rollers broke off, but still is awesome) right next to my sewing machine for thread, pins, bobbins, needles, zippers, elastic, tools, scissors, etc.
  • Attaching a power strip to my sewing machine table for a light or sometimes I set a TV tray type table up next to me for trimming quilt squares and a small iron. It holds a smaller cutting mat and a felt ironing pad.
  • A place to hang my ironing board out of the way.

But now I need so much more space. But I do all kinds of crafting. Ah well, it’s still my crafting cave.

4 Likes

What works for me is lots and lots of shelves, not too deep, because you lose stuff in deep shelves… An ironing station next to the sewing machine, so you don’t have to stand up to iron a seam.

For cutting a high, solid bench so you can stand without killing your back.

Good lighting, at the window, overhead and at your machine. Space beside your table for a rubbish bin for fabric and thread scraps.

Wheeled office chair with back support and so you can move over to the ironing station and the machine.

A large A1 cutting mat on top of the table under the sewing machine, so if you need to do a quick cut, you don’t have to stand and move over to the cutting station.

One thing I didn’t have room for, but would have liked, is a design wall. I sacrificed that for more shelving.

5 Likes

A design wall is also on my list…great suggestion for anyone who quilts!

2 Likes

This thread is making me want to make another quilt (I made 4-5 about 8 years ago but haven’t made one in a while). I’ve had my eye on the Postcards From Sweden quilt forever and wondering if I should get my head checked before embarking on that many HSTs lol.

2 Likes

I rearranged my craft room when I moved back in after my MIL moved out. My toom is probably about 10x13 with a door on one of the short walls and an almost full width window on the other. I have a set of drawers and shelving on that almost to the ceiling and the sewing desk under the window. Its an L-shape from ikea with the L-section adjustable, which is where I have my overlocker. The sewing machine is in front of the window. I have another bench along side for ironing.

My husband made a cutting desk from 3 kallax units on wheels, so I have storage and a good height desk and I can move it to the middle of the room (when its tidy enough).

The only issue is I don’t know what I will do with my Necchi once its serviced. Its so heavy I can’t just whip it out. Maybe I will find it’s able to be my main machine and my other one can live in the case.

4 Likes

I have it cut out, but not gone any further.

2 Likes

So I decided for the October BOM to do a mini pumpkin to replace the lower left quadrant of the full-size BOM (I’m doing it at 12"). Well, I made the little one first and miscalculated my square size. I now have a lovely 4.5" pumpkin instead of a 6.5" pumpkin. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: You think I would have noticed before I finished it and went…huh?

It’s cute and I’ll start over tonight. I have the rest of the block cut out.

7 Likes

That is cute! I really like the orange against the purple background.

1 Like

Wait till you see the BOM! I’ll likely turn this into a coaster or add more around it to turn it into a mug rug.

2 Likes