Quiltalong - 2022

I’m glad it made it to you safely! Hey, those charms would be perfect for our October prompt, lol :wink:.

1 Like

They would! I’m currently armpit-deep in Halloween costumes and trying really hard to stay focused, though. I’m nearly done with one (had to order the correct hardware for the last piece today , so, a little frustrated) and have barely begun the second…if washing the fabric can be counted as beginning.

3 Likes

Beautiful, I love blues

1 Like

Sorry! No there is no tutorial, the book only talks about different patterns and techniques. I guess in 1985 you had to work it out for yourself? Maybe these are the women making yu tube tutorials for us all now?!

2 Likes

@AudiobookLover – We could use this one…it can be made scrappy or just as is…

2 Likes

@mellybelly81, while I like the idea of putting my brain to work and figuring it out, I’m so glad for the easy access to tutorials we have today! I actually came across a few tutorials for this block under the name of ‘double pinwheel’ rather than ‘whirlwind.’ If you do want to nominate it for the December BOM, feel free to do so and I’ll post a link to one of the tutorials. If you aren’t feeling it, no pressure, we still have plenty of time to come up with our last block :smiling_face:.

@tendstowardschaos, I’m impressed by how ahead of the game you are! We still need to figure out LittleBookLover’s costume before I can even get started :grimacing:. I definitely understand being crunched for time this month. I’m hoping to finish the Candy Corn Quilt Shoppe soon (I still have a ways to go though, so we’ll see), then I’ll be out of town for most of next week since LittleBookLover is on fall break, and when we get back, it’s hammer down on the costume time. I feel like this month is going to fly by!

4 Likes

That’s funny, because I was just looking at this one on the same site, lol. It has a different name, but seems to be the same pattern as what’s shown in the book.

I am good to add either, just let me know what you BOMers would like :blush:.

1 Like

I think almost all the pinwheels are about the same but they look so different with fabric placement. I have a few pinwheels in my quilt block swaps from the dead place…they are fun to make!

2 Likes

You’re right! I looked at the grayscale versions of both blocks and they are made from identical patches - they’re flipped in slightly different directions, but the patches are made up the exact same way. I’ve always found it amazing how fabric placement can completely change the outcome of a block, but I never would’ve guessed those were the same blocks!

ETA - I scrolled all the way down and saw the fabric version rather than just the digital version. Once I could see the seams, it was much easier to see that it was the same block.

1 Like

We now have our December BOM. It can be found here! If you check out the BOM post at the top of the Quiltalong page, you can see this block in two different colorways made with the same patches in slightly different positions. Play around and make the block yours, I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

6 Likes

We dropped off my machine at the local sewing shop and they think it will be a very easy fix! So fingers crossed it will be fine.

Mr Imma came with me and I showed him the machines I’ve been drooling over online ( Bernina 770 QE PLUS Kaffe Edition and the Bernina Q16 longarm) and I thought he would have thought the price tag is insane, but he was like “Oh, 15k for both of them together? And then you’re set for life, machine-wise? If they’re going to last 40 years like the one we just dropped off that’s great value for money”. People pay more for a car that’s only going to last a fraction of that time. Which is true but doesn’t make the price less high. I’m not going to be able to buy them anytime soon, we still have to finish the renovation of our home so I can put the machines somewhere! But I already know a fancy sewing machine will bring me so much joy. I’ve been sewing for long enough that I know it’s not a fad.

6 Likes

That’s a great life goal! I am always thankful that my parents scrimped and saved to get me a sewing machine when I was a teenager. It gave me a life long hobby that has brought me great personal joy. A longarm could also provide you with income down the road if you decide you would like to maybe provide services to others. I know one of our past members has a nice little quilting business and is super busy (I thought I read that she has 44 quilts to do yet!)…

3 Likes

I, AIMR, submit this as my current October 22 BOM.

I didn’t read the entire pattern all the way and did not realize it was not a 12-1/2 " block. No biggie…I just added a border around it to make it so!

9 Likes

I, AIMR, submit this as an October prompt.
20221008_143829

20221008_143915

I love the colors of fall. I knew I had a bunch of scraps and fat quarters of fall colored batiks, so I decided to make some acorn shaped coasters/mug rugs. I just googled “acorn sewing projects” and way too many projects appeared. I picked a simple one. I used a grid pattern to quilt the bottom part of the acorn.

10 Likes

Love these!

@AIMR I love the non traditional pumpkin colors. If anyone wants a 12" block, just increase everything by 1/2 an inch to get 3.5 squares. But I really like the border setting the pumpkin off nicely.

And the acorns are yummy!

2 Likes

Thanks…yeah, if I had read everything through I would have made the adjustment, but, I wanted it done…lol…I am behind and still have June and August to catch up!

1 Like

I love everything about your acorns, the colors, the stitching, the fact that they’re cute acorns! I like the addition of the border on your fun pink pumpkin block.

2 Likes

I agree! These are very cute and the quilting patterrn is perfect!

2 Likes

Those acorns are gorgeous!